Heater Control Conversion

PATHRIDER

Hey guys is it possible to convert the manual heater control levers to one of those vacuum assisted heater control with buttons?

Ive been thinking of doing this for as long time but not quite sure how to go about doing it. I know its probably not going to gain me any extra horsepower but just like the look of the buttons instead of the lever..lol

Has anyone done this mod before?

Thanks fellas

It's going to require, at the minimum the vacuum system, motors, control lines and any adapters required from a donor. Mostly likely you will have to pull the dash out in order to gain access to everything needing swapped.

Depending on how the vacuum motors link to the climate control hardware, you may need the vents, shudders, etc from a donor as well.

Something else that needs answered is, where does it get it's vacuum from? Is there a separate pump just for that, or ?

If you have a FSM, you might want to start researching the two systems in there, get a good "feel" for the components and layout so you can get a basic idea of what might be required in parts and labor.

Thanks bud..Sounds like a lot of work ..Im going to spend some time at the JY next week and tear apart one of the donor in there.Seems that nobody picks those control anyways

Everything youve mentioned could be whats needed and some..Ive noticed also on those vacuum assisted heater controls that they have auto climate sensing but I could be wrong

Edited by PATHRIDER

Good thread, it's something I've been thinking of for a while. I've seen a few in the junkyard untouched for long amounts of time...wonder why that is? Post up any info you find. :beer:

I just hope its not going to cost much, seems that all the mods ive been thinking of doing lately would cost more than just going with the simple route

Those heater controls may it be manual or vacuum are always plentiful at the jy here..Im crossing my finger that it would be an easy swap

Edited by PATHRIDER

I still recommend looking through a FSM before you head out, that way you go into it with an idea of what you are looking at and for.

Ive noticed also on those vacuum assisted heater controls that they have auto climate sensing but I could be wrong

I don't know about Pathfinders, but my '88 Taurus had Auto Climate Control. Just set a temp and it would maintain it using the heat and A/C. It also had several sensors in the car so it would change the output vents to equalize the temp throughout the cabin (high/low, front/back) I absolutely loved it, but if the Pathy's have that, I imagine that you can bet on more electrical wiring and some sort of logic control module as well.

when you go to the scrape yard take some pictures of where the vacuum actuators bolt up to the vent housings they may be different. You might have to change out the entire air box and everything associated with it. You would get your vacuum from the engine. There would also be a plastic tank probably under the hood for a vacuum reservoir. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but I know I'm too lazy to go through all that just for different controls. Now if it was automatic climate control it would be worth it. My Titan has that and it's really cool, just set it and forget it.

James

I was planning on doing that... Itll be well worth it if it does have auto climate control..cant find anything on the fsm with a vacuum assisted unit..Im going to check also what year and model this vacuum assisted unit has that option