Vg30 Timing Belt Change

jbdevega

I need to change the timing belt in my 95 Pathy, but im not sure if i need a puller to pull off the crank shaft pully or not. My chilton says yes but every online how-to guide didnt mention needing a puller.

Also i remember someone saying one of the sprokets around the timing belt is prone to breaking, if anyone remembers what that is that would be of great help.

Thanks.

It would be a good idea to get a puller, but in my experience on my truck I didn't even need it, the pulley just slid right off. I don't know if that was a good thing or not!

95% of the time the crank pulley will be stuck and you'll need a puller. Be sure to use a bolt on type (steering wheel puller type) instead of one that clamps on the outside of the pulley, that's what breaks. Be sure to spray a good bit of rust penetrate on the crank pulley after you get the big bolt out. MAKE SURE you are at top dead center with the cam gear dots pointing up. Use a belt that has the marks on it and line it all up with the dots on the gears and you should be ok.

Yes, you will probably need a puller to break it free. There are 6 (8?) bolts in the harmonic ballancer, 6mm IIRC, so pull two and use those for the puller. Just don't loose them as you will need to reinstall them. You will probably have more trouble with the crank bolt than the pulley though.

B

Yes, you will probably need a puller to break it free. There are 6 (8?) bolts in the harmonic ballancer, 6mm IIRC, so pull two and use those for the puller. Just don't loose them as you will need to reinstall them. You will probably have more trouble with the crank bolt than the pulley though.

B

definatly use a puller. My suggestion, is if you have an o'rileas, they have a FREE loaner program. Hit them up the morning of the job.