I'm new, thinking about trading my 4Runner for PF

Guest tkh329

Hey, I'm selling my boat and probably with it my '94 4Runner as it is now 11 years old. I would love to get another 4Runner (nothing against pathfinders but i love my 4runner) but to be honest i can't find a 4runner with under 75k miles and 4wd that i can afford so i've decided to look around, specifically at Pathfinders, Monteros, et al. What do you think of this decision? JDPowers shows pathfinders as behind 4runners on reliability etc, they also dont have the ground clearance i'd like, can you rid me of some of the these qualms? What do you think? Thanks,

Tristan

DSCF1699.jpg

Yeah, i looked at 4 runners when i was buying my truck too. I just found them to be a little bit too pricey. I havent had much trouble with my truck besides the usual stuff like ball joints, brakes etc. The parts have been really cheap for them, except when you get into specialty stuff like o2 sensors and junk. As for reliability, any car you get can be a lemon unless you look after them. Clearance? There are so many different ways to get some extra height out of 87-95's. These trucks will readily accept a 31' tire with no modifications to the suspension. The torsion bar front suspension is really easy to adjust to different heights according to where you drive it most. The rear end can be lifted for as cheap as you can find some Jeep Grand Cherokee coils in the wrecking yard. The price of 87-95's has really come down in my neck of the woods. All in all, they make an excellent SUV for less cash than most imports. The newer versions 96 and up, feature a unibody construction which gives it a much smoother car-like ride. They have a larger engine, but lack the offroad potential of the 87-95 models. I like the 4runners too, but i'll stick with these trucks.

Hmmmmm, so say a stock '98 doesn't have much offroad potential without mods which are relatively expensive because of the unibody construction? Will a '98 accept a 31 inch tire without a lift? My 4runner will accept 32s with lifting it.... hmmm. Any other thoughts? Thanks

No, no the 96 and up models make great trucks for exploring, even in stock form. Every truck will benefit from better tires if you want to get into some mud and stuff with the stock setup.

The 96-98's can be lifted with new coils and shocks. They should be able to accept a 33' tire with a few modifications. Trialsin got a good deal on some new coils and shocks installed. YOu can read about it and ask him questions from here:

Coils + shock upgrade

If you are looking to build a crazy offroad machine, I would choose a WD21 (87-95) over an R50 (96 and up, i believe) Just spend some time poking around the site and you can see some great examples of lifted trucks. Mookie's, 88pathoffroad's and Mr. Jim's are all examples of sweet WD21's. Squam1's truck is a nice R50 too

Will a '98 accept a 31 inch tire without a lift?

I think so but check in on their thread. i believe that very thing was discussed there a while back... Reliability is the same as Yotas. SAS/IS is the only real differnce between these tks (well, of course there is the $$$ and roominess)

11year old Yota is about only half it's age anyway...

Montero: i friend of mine has one and he likes it well but i have never seen one wheeling and doubt that there are many mods available for them...They are Japanese afterall but I just don't think they are on par with Nissan, Toyota, or even Isuzu/Honda but that's a personal preference...

Hmmmmm, so say a stock '98 doesn't have much offroad potential without mods which are relatively expensive because of the unibody construction?

Hi there tkh329,

Hope you enjoy this Forum in the Future :)

I really like Yota's too man they go forever my brother has close to 400,000km's on his 88 4Runner the thing still runs like a charm.

He also does alot of back lake trails that are pretty wicked. On that note his 4Runner I think was about 2 years old he put a winch on it and had to use it to get into one of the lakes that I went into with my stock Pathfinder (except skidplates), and I didn't use a winch ;) and I was also pulling a heavier boat by a 150lbs. I have a 03 Se and to this day he can't believe it, thank god he was there as we have had one of the sloppiest summers ever.

The pics of that trail getting to the lake is on my Gem lake pg on my trail pics link.

Would of bought a Yota but here in Canada they have set pricing & I totally disagree with this cr@p!

But I am happy :clap: with no regrets after the Pathy pulled through a bunch of times now when I venture off the beaten path :aok:

Hope this kiboshes the thought of these trucks can't offroad P...

Welcome tkh329 WAVEY

Will a '98 accept a 31 inch tire without a lift?

Yup they'll fit, got mine on two weeks ago, no prob. Sorry no pics yet peeps :hide: They do look gud :aok: Oh yeah, go with a Pathy, R50's are very offroad capable and you WILL save a bunch of money.My .02 cents Canadian.