alot of 91 pfinder problems

Guest bamafinder

Guest bamafinder

I REALLY HOPE YOU GUYS CAN HELP, YOU ALL SEEM TO BE KNOWLEDGABLE IN THE Pathfinder FIELD. HERE IS MY PROBLEM, I HAVE A 91 Pathfinder SE AUTO 4X4 THE MOTOR IS RUNNING SO RICH YOU CAN SMELL STRAIGHT FUEL FROM THE MOTOR AND THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE, THE TRANS. ACTS REALLY WIERD, IT SHIFTS HARD FROM 1ST TO 2ND BUT IN 3RD AND 4TH I HAVE TO LET OFF THE GAS FOR IT TO SHIFT (MOST OF THE TIME) ALSO I HAVE A HIGH PITCH WINE THAT STARTS AS SOON AS I ACELERATE AND AS I STOP THE WINE STOPS(I KNOW ITS A TRANNY WINE, DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT), I DO NOT HAVE AN EXTERNAL TRANNY COOLER DIDNT WANT TO PUT ANY MORE MONEY IN UNLESS IT WOULD FIX. ALSO IF I CAN FIX THESE PROBLEMS I WANT TO LIFT IT TO FIT 35'S HOW IS THE BEST I.E. CHEEPEST WAY TO DO THIS.

agreed run the engine codes, see what you find

i suspect a dodgey injector - check resistance across each injector

as for the transmission - run the codes for the tranny

click here

35's..... you will need 4" T.M. suspension lift and 3" body lift and probably some 1.5" lift springs. you will also need to replace ALL steering components from the steering box down - calmini does a excellent set, i think its super lift that does the other one.

there is no cheap way to fit 35's to a pathy - you will need a pocket full of cash to chuck at it and something else to think about is gearing... 35's are gonna make acceleration slow and you are gonna use more fuel.

just do a lift and 33's - far less hassel ;)

Guest bamafinder

had codes checked, no codes found the guy said it runs perfect except for the really odd fuel smell, just changed tranny fluid didn't do filter how hard are these torsoin bars to adjust and how hard is the 3inch body lift to install?

Hehe. Yeah yeah yeah. Funny stuff.

http://www.damagedreality.com/tmaster.html <------Link to how to install a Trailmaster 3" body lift on a 2-door auto tranny Pathy.

I'm sorry to say it man, but it sounds like your tranny is showing signs of being worn out and needing a rebuild or replacement. A shop can quote you on their cost, but it seems to run at least $1100 for a rebuild and a bit more for a new tranny.

You may be in need of a new oxygen sensor or a new catalytic converter to cure the rich smell. That's a generic type of problem that happens on a lot of cars.

Guest bamafinder

i just replaced the oxygen sensor and the cat has been cut off. i have been told that the tranny will cost $2500 to rebuild. also im getting a little bit of ticking in the motor is this normal i have been told that it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bamafinder

no the manifolds are not leaking it is a little noise in the motor, also today the truck wont start at all the batt. alternator and everything else is new i tryed banging on the starter with no luck.

Sorry to say, Bamafinder, but you may have to sink a bit of cash into your finder just to straighten out the trans/engine problems. If you're loooking for a cheap lift, the IFS Nissans are not the way to go. By the time you rebuild your trans and do a body/suspension lift, you could easily sink $4K+ into it, and then you have to buy tires and wheels...

What kind of shape is the rest of the vehicle in? (body, paint, frame) If they're good, you might be better off trying to sell it and find a better base vehicle.

I see good condition 94-95 4x4 Pathfinders go for $4-5k around Atlanta.

Guest bamafinder

its in good shape besides the fact that the starter just went bad but what do you guys think it is worth 91 190,000 miles auto leather loaded