First Pathfinder: 94 Se

gatorfish

IMG00113-20100316-1122.jpg

I have always been a jeep guy. owned 4 XJs and 2 TJs and was looking for a ZJ but came across this and couldnt pass it up. I have alawys loved the look and did own a 2005 Frontier Nismo 4x4, which was great.

Its a 94 SE with only 66k miles. Was a gov fleet vehicle. paid a little more than $1k. mechanical seems good, cosmetically OK to poor. Gonna do the fluid/belt changes. add a new tranny cooler. wires and plugs. Anything major I should do?

Figure an OME lift is in the near future...others I should consider?

Anyone know the stock wheel width and backspacing?

Thanks and looking forward to learning about pathys...

Edited by gatorfish

Stock wheel is 15 x 7 and the backspacing is about 6"

Use a 3" body lift unless you absolutely need a suspension lift to clear your tires. The body lift will fit 33s with a little fender trimming.

IMG00113-20100316-1122.jpg

I have always been a jeep guy. owned 4 XJs and 2 TJs and was looking for a ZJ but came across this and couldnt pass it up. I have alawys loved the look and did own a 2005 Frontier Nismo 4x4, which was great.

Its a 94 SE with only 66k miles. Was a gov fleet vehicle. paid a little more than $1k. mechanical seems good, cosmetically OK to poor. Gonna do the fluid/belt changes. add a new tranny cooler. wires and plugs. Anything major I should do?

Figure an OME lift is in the near future...others I should consider?

Anyone know the stock wheel width and backspacing?

Thanks and looking forward to learning about pathys...

Welcome Bud and congrats on your 'new' Pathfinder!! Only 66k miles?? I'm jealous!! :D

Ok, one thing that needs to be done unless you are certain it has been replaced in a timely manner is the timing belt. This is an interference motor so it's bad news if it fails!! The recommended replacement interval for your year (94-95) is 105k miles or 4 years. Obviously, yours may have the age issue. I recently replaced the belt on my 95 with 98k miles on it and the belt still looked decent but I wasn't going to risk it. You can get a factory belt from Alkorahil for about $40 or so and there are several threads to walk you through the procedure.

Depending on what size tires you plan to run, your vehicle usage and what your budget is like dictates what lifts to use. Suspension lift, body lift, or both... Look in the Garage and WD21 sections for pinned threads and search for anything else.

Stock aluminum rims are 7" wide with about 3.75" back spacing?? I have not measured any personally but I now run 8" wide/4" BS steel rims.

Yes, a tranny cooler should also be priority and a tranny temp gauge is also a good idea...

B

x2 on the timing belt. It is not too difficult of a job to do yourself.

As for the lift, a suspension lift makes the most sense to me. I have the 3" kit from AC and have not had any difficulty with it. I test-fit a 32x11.50r15 on one of the stock rims and it fit after the lift.

Enjoy the new toy. I had a Jeep before I got my Pathfinder and I like the Pathy a lot better. Hope you will too!

Thanks.

She got new 31x10.50 BFG ATs, an oil change and a coolent, tranny and brake flush today. Gonna read up on the timing belt and get that done soon. and will order the new wire and plugs tonight.

The Old Man Emu 1.75" suspension lift is what is in the plans. too and from work and light trail riding are her duties. I've done the big lift, axles, cages with the jeeps and am over it...

Got a little hesitation under acceleration at lower rpms and some quirks (rear windows dont work) but she runs well is one of the best looking SUVs ever made. I think I'll enjoy the relationship...

Thanks for the advice...

It's probably hesistating a little at low RPMs due to the low low mileage, meaning it hasn't been driven much and probably wasn't that well cared for. Run some Seafoam through it and see how well it reacts... I'll bet you'll have a crapload of white smoke bellowing out the exhaust when you do.

I think there would be a good chance of the belt being a little brittle and I would replace it just to be 100% sure there's not going to be any unexpected surprises...

the timing belt will be changed.

It was a police vehicle. The story I got was that after a few years of HARD service, it was parked in a forgotten lot and left to rot. it has the mounts for radios/antenna and there is coffee/donut residue everywhere :D. The dash and front leather seats are trash. the drivers compartment and truck area look as though they have a million miles. the rear seats and floor look showroom new. the body is beat up but the paint aint half bad.

After the new tires, it drives well though the suspension is..well..non-exsistent.

I got some work to do but but am quite happy...

Ahahahahahahahaha! A Pathfinder used for POLICE DUTY?! I can see it now "Hey, you! Slow down and wait for a few minutes while I catch up and arrest your ass!"

More like "we sit here and eat pistachios until the perps show up" vehicle. Still, it's the mileage and treatment that count. Police usually service their cars regularly so I suspect you have a good find after you get the age related bugs worked out...

B