Tachometer Stuck At 3K Rpms

I have a 95 pathfinder, And the tachometer will stay at 0 untill i start the car and than it jumps to 3k rpm and stays there. I can drive the car just fine, and it can hear it idel at 900rpms, I can even rev the motor and the tac dosnt change. Has anyone had this problem?

Pretty sure the needle should read 0 if the engine is not running.

But as far as I know, the tach gets its signal from the igniter, but i'd let others chime in before you start throwing parts at it.

94 and 95 have an electronic speedo/tach cluster and some have problems. First, remove the entire cluster (not too hard) and unplug the connectors. Tighten the brass screws in the back (ground points), check the connection points, reinstall and rest.

When I was combining 2 clusters to get 1 fully working unit, a tach that hadn't worked for 3 years came back to live in my parts truck... :shrug:

B

how the heck dose the cluster come out? I see 2 screws at the top and thats it!

94 and 95 have an electronic speedo/tach cluster and some have problems. First, remove the entire cluster (not too hard) and unplug the connectors. Tighten the brass screws in the back (ground points), check the connection points, reinstall and rest.

When I was combining 2 clusters to get 1 fully working unit, a tach that hadn't worked for 3 years came back to live in my parts truck... :shrug:

B

how the heck dose the cluster come out? I see 2 screws at the top and thats it!

theres 2 more screws holding that bezel and once you get the bezel or trim off there 4 more screws i think holding the cluster

You have to take the underdash panel and the other 2 screws thats holding the bezel is behind it..you can just pull gently on the top part of the underdash panel without having to take the 2 screws holding it below but its safer to just take the 2 screws off and yank on the top part of that underdash panel.the top part is just held with snaps so you can either pry it gently with a stiff putty knife or pull on the side

I can take pictures tomorrow morning so you know what im talking about or somebody here could probably chime in and explain it better :aok:

Edited by PATHRIDER