Vq Idles Funny

02silverpathy

My VQ (67K) has been doing something for a while now, however it is starting to get more frequent.

While in drive, stopped, the idle is fine at 650-750 RPM. Truck fully warmed up, etc.

Then for a few turns of the engine it drops to 600-650 and feels like its grinding through the steering wheel and brake pedal...almost lopy as if a cam were installed. Then returns to normal for several moments again.

I would say if I were to be stopped for a total of 5 minutes, in drive, the truck will pull this weird event every 2 minutes??

I have also heard this lopy idle happen while its idling not in drive, but can't tell how it felt as I was not in it.

I have a Chevy buddy that heard this happen and actually asked if I had changed timing or done other work to the engine as the lope for those few seconds makes it sound more like a V8.

Any ideas out there?

• 1 month later...

Found the problem...super simple.

I had a vacuum leak in my intake piping....that's it. I had also triggered a P0170 lean right bank code, that has yet to some back. The truck had been parked idling for ever in a driveway with the rear end higher than the front by about an " difference, this could have contributed also as the fan was only pulling "x" amount of cool air.