Power Steering Leak

mickyficky

My power steering reservoir has a leak at one of the hoses. It's probably just that the hose is worn out, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this before. It seems like the hose may be clogged. By the way, my steering is fine and the leak is relatively slow (bout 10 drops a day)...

Has anyone changed one of these hoses?

Is this the in or out hose?

I think the system will need to be bled if the hose is changed, will the Haynes manual instructions be acceptable for this or is it harder than it looks?

any tips or recommendations would be great. Thanks :handlebars:

PSleak.jpg

I believe that is the low pressure return line from the PS box. Have you simply tried tightening the clamp a bit (don't over do it, at least at first) to see if that is enough to stop the leak?

If the hose is cracked or split, you may be able to simply cut 1" off that end and re-clamp it, otherwise you will have to drain most of the fluid and replace the 12-16" section. Very easy to do, only a screw driver or 10mm (?) wrench needed. If you do drain some of the fluid (looks like yours could use being changed...) all you do to bleed it is fill up the reservoir, start the vehicle and turn the wheels from lock to lock several times. Check the fluid level, fill appropriately and repeat until there is no additional need to refill.

B

My wifes pathy had the very same leak and I replaced the hose a couple of days ago and now her steering is so much better and smoother.

I bought some 3/8 hose at auto zone and used different clamps .Filled it with dex3.Its an easy task. 1 hr tops