Front Crank/oil Pump Seal

wood6078

Hey guys....so, my 95 XE is leaking oil from the front of the motor, behind the balancer. Noticed it while doing the t-belt couple months back. Still not bad, really just seeping it's way out. I know, shoulda changed it while I was doing the belt, but damn chiltons book scaring me about what they say must be done to get to it. According to them, drop front diff, lift motor off mounts to get oil pan and pump off. Is all this really necessary? Anybody else done that seal? How bad is it, really to do?

Thanx

-wood

Aren't they two different things, the crank seal and the oil pump seal?? I replaced the crank seal when I did my timing belt and it was a cake walk... :shrug:

As for the oil pump, yes, someone else was talking about it recently, but where I do not recall.

B

well, the way i was looking at it when doing the timing belt, on top of looking at the chilton's was that the seal drove in from the back side of the pump :shrug: that, and i think the crank seal set from fel-pro came with gasket for the pump. anyway, timing belt wasn't that bad to do. guess i'll take it back off and redo to change that seal. needs v/c gaskets and exhaust leak fixed anyway

hey precise, how bout those foglight trim pieces and a switch? : :D

Edited by wood6078

Aren't they two different things, the crank seal and the oil pump seal?? I replaced the crank seal when I did my timing belt and it was a cake walk... shrug.gif

As for the oil pump, yes, someone else was talking about it recently, but where I do not recall.

B

I was asking you about it B

anyway I'm pretty sure its just right there on the pump behind the timing gear easy to get to when doing a t-belt, I'll be doing mine soon enough.

If there is a seal on the other side of the pump(all that work pulling diff and whatnot) It shouldn't be a drip issue because the pump is sealed against the block. I'm pretty sure If such inner pump seal existed it would just leak back into the pan.