Auto Transmission Fluid in an '03 SE

jaafallon

Can anyone tell me what the steps are to change transmission fluid in a 2003 SE Pathfinder (Automatic)? I did a search and didn't get any results that answered the question. Does this tranny have a filter? Anything special that needs to be done, or any special tools required? I assume the necessary fluid is listed in the owner's manual. Any other suggestions?

Thanks all,

jim

I have 01 LE with 50K miles. Should be the same. Buy a AT Service kit and Gasket sealer that is not the permanent kind. AT kit comes with new pan gasket, filter, and rubber o-ring for filter fitting.

Remove drain bolt, use large adjustable wrench for the square drain bolt. Measure the amount drained for that is the amount you will refill it with. Drain AT pan. Should be about 3-4 quarts only. Your AT should hold about 9 quarts at capacity. This is not a complete ATF flush since about half is left in the tranny itself and not in the AT pan. Re-install bolt back in pan. Now, the hard part.

Remove about 20 small 10MM bolts that hold the pan to tranny. Use socket extensions. Before that, you might have to unhook the drain and refill AT metal lines that are simply attached to two front side AT pan bolts. Leave at least two bolts loosely connected to AT pan so the pan won't drop on you. Then support the pan(not that heavy) while you remove the remaining bolts.

Wipe the pan clean. Clean the magnet(round) around the drain bolt hole. Put it back in same location.

Now, you need to scrape off the old gasket from the pan. I used a large flat head screwdriver and a lot of patience to scrape it off. You can use larger scrapers. Make sure the gasket metal surface is smooth, clean, and not deeply scratched in the process.

Test fit the new gasket to orient it correctly before you install it. Apply gasket sealant on the gasket surface of pan. A thin line is good. Too much will ooze out into AT pan when you bolt it back up. Excess sealant may break loose into your tranny, not good. Place new gasket over new the sealant and gently press it flat as possible. Let set for few minutes.

Re-Install the pan and do not fully tighten all the bolts. Now tighten the bolts as evenly as possible around the pan. Remember, do not overtighten them. They do not need to be tightened to the max. Just tight enough. Make sure you put back the ATF metal line fastners in the front pan bolts.

Now, let the sealant set for about 10 minutes before you refill the ATF.

Refill the ATF fluid thru the ATF dipstick. It should be only around 3-4quarts or the amount you drained and not the capacity. Put back as much as you drained. Start the car, shift the gears, and then check the dipstick level. Add or drain as necessary. Do not overfill ATF fluid. Check for leaks.

Takes about 1.5-2 hours to complete.

If you want to completely flush the ATF, simply drain and refill in about 1000 miles to have almost all new ATF fluid. Do it again in another 1000 miles if you are anal like me. :beer: 30 minutes each time.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid and it works great. About 20K miles now and it is much smoother shifting than before using Synthetic. Better protection against heat and thermal breakdown of fluid. No leaks or problems. Heard Royal Purple and Amsoil ATF fluids are just as good.

Good luck!!

Does this tranny have a filter?

Yes your tranny does have a filter but it is a metal screen, no reason to change it or clean it. Easiest way to get new ATF in there is to drain the pan and add 4qts, then repeat after driving for 50 miles or so to let the fluid mix. Drain it 4 times and you're up over 90% new fluid.