Question About ECU Error Code Procedure

VOTS95

Hi Folks,

I have a 95 with 185K miles that recently started to stall when I come to a stop or when I make a turn at slow speeds. When this happens I get a heavy rotten egg smell. It would usually last a few minutes and then would go away, it happened again yesterday and lasted almost 24 hours.

Money is really tight and I'd like to fix this on my own rather than take it to the shop.

I wanted to run the error codes but I'm confused about the procedure. I have the FSM, here's what it says:

(1) Turn ignition on, (don't start engine)

(2) Bulb check

(3) Turn the test mode selector on the ECU fully clockwise

(4) Read the number of flashes, 1 thru 5 times ( What do I do with this info? )

(5) Turn the test mode selector fully counter clockwise, ( then what?? )

I suspect the O2 sensor and wanted to run the diagnostics in Mode I but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

If I could get someone with experience on the rotten egg smell or the test procedure, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Bruce

I agree with Pezzy. I have heard this but not experienced it.

As for the ECU reading procedure, it is listed in the Garage/How To pinned section. I can't describe it to you, I keep a printed version in the truck... ;)

B

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. Based on the responses, I'm going to replace the cat.

I still haven't sorted out the procedure for running the error codes but I'll keep trying.

Bruce