rear carriers

wrightfox

so the 96 pathys come with a rear tire carrier.. but not after.. well maybe the 97's not sure.. can these be put on a 98 pathfinder? i mean the bodys are exactly alike.. the rear door/hatch has a different place for the license plate but isnt that it..

so can or cant we?

I picked one up from a '96 for my '97 LE and the carrier itself lines up no problem. The issue is the bumper cladding, it needs to be changed to one that had a carrier or it needs to be cut up to allow access for the latch and stricker plate.

I was curious too....I have a 96 that did NOT come with the rear tire carrier....I assume you would need a stronger support mounting surface due to the heavy weight of a FULL SIZE TIRE??? I would think there would be just sheet metal back there if it didn't come stock with the carrier, to try to mount one I think it would just rip the metal?

so all in all this is a simple stock addition for most all of us.. get the carrier with all the parts. and either buy the rear door or just pull all the crap for the carrier of fit. then just put some additional metal on the corner, bolt it up and attach the mounts or replace the hatch? i am going to really consider this.. but.. i could just buy a safari rack and be happy with that too lol..

so all in all this is a simple stock addition for most all of us.. get the carrier with all the parts. and either buy the rear door or just pull all the crap for the carrier of fit. then just put some additional metal on the corner, bolt it up and attach the mounts or replace the hatch? i am going to really consider this.. but.. i could just buy a safari rack and be happy with that too lol..

Why replace the hatch? The only thing that brings the hatch into play is the license plate, it will have to be relocated as the carrier will cover it. Your mods will be to the corner and the bumper cladding, none to the hatch.

yeah i just figured the license plate and lights would be in the way was all.. if ot then that makes it that much more simpler.. find a welder for the inside reinforcement and then bolt up and latch. should be easy and junkyard find hopefully cheap!!