Back to the drawing board...

4xKory

Okay, if the belt hasn't been changed that you know of then your best bet would be to replace it anyways like B said. Have you tried what was suggested to see if your belt has slipped a tooth?

I want to point one thing out here that somewhat leans me away from this being a bad timing belt/crushed valves issue.

Yeah, I would agree. That's why I suggested the quick check before yanking everything apart. Not to 2nd guess your diagnostic skills 4xKory, but are you positive you hear valves knocking around? It could be something as simple as a loose spark plug wire. If you're engine is running on 5 cylinders it'll definately loose power and shake/knock. A vacuum leak will do oddball things, too. I'd take a real close look at some of the more basic things that don't involve anything but a decent set of eyeballs and a Chilton manual first. After that, do a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap + rotor, etc.) and see where that gets you. And I'd do it before changing the timing belt. If the problem wasn't fixed by the belt change you'll freak out that you did something wrong. :aok:

Well good news my friends! I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, seals, thermostat, rad hoses, and other belts... and it runs INCREDIBLE! No valve noise at all, it purrs like a tiger! haha! I brought it over to my grandmothers and she let me use her garage and my uncle came over to give me a hand. What a project, but it was a lot of fun!

Thanks so much to everyone here at NPORA and all the support I have been given.

The timing belt once I got to it, felt like a rubber band! and the water pump piece that connects to the fan, you could move it in and out! So nothing had been changed back there for 95k miles! But all is good now so I am very happy!

Thanks again you guys are awesome, and I owe my dedication to this site in return!

It's all about the pathfinders... ;)

Glad you got everything together, learned something and have a good running truck. :beer:

B

Heck yeah! Everyone in my family has commented on how nice my truck looks. Pathfinders are just an awesome vehicle.

I certainly learned a ton, and will not be timid one bit to do the next timing belt change when the time comes.

Cheers to you man! :beer:

Good job getting it fixed man! Now remember what I said about buying parts prematurely... ;)

Haha yeah good thing I didnt spend the extra money on those parts, I needed it for all the other misc stuff I needed to do the job.

Thanks for your help and support kingman, hopefully Ill see you on the trails soon!

I bet you enjoyed the job too. You have the satisfaction of fixing it yourself, and a smile from all the money saved that you would have paid to someone else to do it. With vehicles this old you have to be able to fix it yourself. I just don't trust anyone else working on my vehicles. I pace the floor when I'm getting tires put on.

James