PhotoShop Help.

Dowser

Hey all you photoshop users out there.

I've been trying to help a buddy of mine out get his company some things made and one of the items are some Embroidered Caps.

Theres a place locally that does it but they want to charge me $50.00 bucks just to convert the Image into a .dst file which stands for Digital Stitch something. At any rate when I looked into this further apparently 2 programs can do it for you for sure that I know of. 1 is Photo Shop and the other is Corel Draw. Neither of which I own. Was hoping if Someone is out there that uses either of these programs and can convert the Logo without too much trouble I would be really appreciative. I'm not sure if the option to convert to .dst comes standard or not or if you need a plugin though. Be nice to get some Hats made up for NPORA as well come to think of it.

At any rate... these are the images I was hoping to convert.

Edited by Dowser

Also just in case anyone is actually interested. Hes a Computer Game Designer out of Niagara Falls and Emotional Robots is his Company. He's been working on a Game called WARMGUN for the past year that takes the First Person Shooter Engine from Unreal Tournament 3, and completely made something Original. Its about 55% done or so and heres his Website if anyone is Interested in taking a peek. WarmGun

This all started for him because the Makers of unreal Tournament put on a World Wide Contest called "Make something Unreal" where the grand prize was a pretty big payday and free use of their engine which retails to developers for $250,000 USD per game. After a year of HARD work and people from all over the globe working on it with him, he managed to get into the top 12 game picks. After that time they entered the final phase of the competition and hes waiting to hear the results as are the other 11 developers.

These are some screen shots of some of the In game levels and some test material I've been sent to check out and see if there's any flaws in it. The lighting is bright on the Canyon Pictures but that's intentional for these pictures so you can see the whole area well. It will be much darker in real game.

He's a Hard working guy and has been working 14 hour days for the past year and a bit trying to get this ready not only for the Unreal Tournament Competition but also to put it out as a stand alone game to be purchased in stores. If you like what you see, check out his forums and let them know. And if anyone is looking for some Investments, I believe he's got shares available to the public as well. I'm sure some of you guys play games so thought this might strike some interest.

I'm not certain I can help, but I will try...

Do you have an EPS or AI file? (Vector art).

I'm afraid all I have is what I've posted at this point for the Logo. About the best I can do without downloading more software is changing it into the following formats.

BMP, ICO, LWF, PPM,

ECW, JP2, PCX, RAW,

EMF, JPG, PGM, TIF,

GIF, LDF, PNG,

Most of these formats are going to be pretty much useless I Imagine but that's all I can offer. I've been trying to find some software of my own but recently I had to turn my Automatic updates back on after 5 years of having them off hahaha. I was still using Windows Service pack 1 and most software you download now needs a minimum of SP2 so I had to do some updates. CHRIST I wish I hadn't. My computer was working wonderfully before that and now I have Microsoft spamware all over my PC telling me I Don't have a Valid copy of Windows. Can't even load a Desktop image cause it keeps reverting it back to a black screen with a Disclaimer about having a counterfeit copy. Any program I run a pop up keeps coming up every 5-10 minutes stating I could fix the problem by clicking the fix button which brings me to the Purchase site. Even Upon start up it tries to get me to buy Windows xp for $200.00 before I even get to see my desktop. hahahaha.

I've found a Site that shows you how to disable the stuff but you have to start in Safe mode. I used to be able to get into safe mode by simply holding down the F8 key during boot up but now for some reason since I did my updates I can get to the option to start in safe mode but my keyboard wont respond once i get there to select it so the timer runs out and I start normally. I don't know whats up with that cause I've tried different keyboards as well figuring it may have something to do with this one.

At any rate... off topic a sec there.

HAving to install the auto updates made my time to search for software come to a crashing halt while I dealt with all the Microsoft garbage. Now that my Machine is semi stable I'm going to continue to look but I thought maybe someone on here might have the stuff I needed.

Man is it ever freaking annoying. My PC has slowed down considerably since those updates. I hate microsoft.

Edited by Dowser

That was a lot more than I asked for, thank you. LOL...

I have never created a DST file. When I worked at my last place, we never created out own files, we had out suppliers create the embroidery tape file.

I opened a logo in photoshop, and wasnt able to simply "save as". I was hoping an eps would make it easier to open in CorelDraw & convert.

Basically a DST file will tell their machines where every stitch is... I'm not certain, but it sounds like they would have to take any bitmap file (the types you listed) and redraw the entire thing. I think a vector image would be a lot simpler, as it is a much easier editable file.

If you can get an EPS or AI from your buddy, I will give it another go. You may have to eat the cost, but make sure you get that file from the supplier, so you can use it again if you ever do any other embroidery.

Well that's a real bummer. I wonder if there is a Plugin Available for photoshop to use cause the guy at Lids told me that if you have either Photoshop or Corel Draw it can be changed. Hmmmmm. I'll try and find some more information on the whole process. It would be good for us as well to see just how much work its going to take to make some hats for our members as well.

Thanks for trying so far Pezzy.

*edit*

UGH!

Upon further investigation it seems the software to do this is quite pricey. Its as you said not as simple as "Save As" dst file. The Thing thats getting me a bit annoyed is that From what I've read once you get the Image digitized, you have very limited sizing options. The image can only be scaled about 10% maximum or you run into to many issues. You instead have to make a new DST file. Another Bugger is the place I contacted wanted $50 CAD PER picture. so with just the 3 images posted Im already at $150.00 and then theres the Sizing issue if we want things on different types of apparel.

I found a couple of forums out there that state they have some programs for 30 day Trials that can create these dst files but apparently you need to save the image not only as a DST file but in a format that a Particular machine can read. (example singer sewing machines) and im not really sure just how much variety I'll have with a trial version. Regardless its something that might be cheaper and worth looking into. If I do try this out I'll make sure to get some images from NPORA made up but depending on how time consuming it is it make one digitized image, that could never happen.

If anyone else has an interest in doing something like this feel free to chime in. hahaha I just wasted my kids nap time looking into this and typing this so I'm finished for a while.

Edited by Dowser

Yeah, looks like it isn't a simple extention swap, the DST is supposedly coded with stitch pattern start and stops and all that. I couldn't find anything searchng shareware downloads, but didn't look really hard. Only progran I found was downloadable, but it was $99. Maybe you could find an "illegal" download of it, but that is on you.