Engine Problems

Tosh

Well just recently the pathfinder started making a noticably loud ticking noise from thte engine. I've searched through looking for it and what i've came up with is it could either be a ticking valve head or a ticking manifold stud(to tell the truth i have no clue what that is). It also has a rough startup on cold days and for the first couple of minutes the cab smells like exhaust. If anyone could help inform me on what they think is the problem then it would be appriciated

Also whatever it is it will have to wait till the spring to be fixed i just don't have the funds to fix it now, so is there anything that could help it till then? like thicker oil?

Thicker oil could help if it is internal, but it sounds to me like you have an exhaust leak. Check to see if it is at the manifold or at collector or Y before the midpipe. You may be able to fix it with a new gasket, depending.

B

there could be several holes in the exhaust, also the exhaust travels right under the driver's feet. the floor on my old pathy had rusted out and had big holes right above the exhaust. I had to through the carpet and insulation out because it was soaking wet gross. all the mud and puddles didnt help.

when i start mine she ticks for a maybe 30 secs whenever shes cooled down, and only till the heat expands the gap lol...the prob is the y pipes are too far apart breaks the manifold stud bolts and lets a small amount of tick be heard i will eventually look into custom exaust as soon as the gasket goes... but if its not using oil and no leaks and it goes away with a little rising engine temp then prob the manifold ....replace it when u can afford it mines been doing it since i fixed the same prob on other side like 2 yrs ago

Edited by pathfinderfisherman