I Would Like To Find Out Why I Have Oil On My Starter

arty

So I just changed my starter last month and it looks like ima need another one cuz it clicks n then it doesn want to turn on unless I hit it wit a bat ....there is always oil on the starter I have a leak but I can't seem to find out where its coming from ....I'm tired of changins starters every month or so ....so I wanna tackle this problem .....any help guys suggestions .....thank u guys in advance

your oil filter is right above the starter. I kno that if your not careful everytime you change your oil oil drips on it from when u take the filter out. I would say if its leaking on to it its either your vavle cover gasket or the oil filter isnt sealing right. Mine was full of oil when i replaced it but that was from years of oil getting spilt on it when changing the oil. next time you change your oil u will see what i mean. Put a rag under the oil filter when unscrewing it to catch the drippings doing so should prevent it from getting full of oil. Unless u have a different leak.

Edited by edicer2

Well, due to the oil filter placement and angle, every time the filter is changed, you dump oil on the starter. You can cover the starter with plastic or a raag, but this is imperfect. The other option is an oil filter relocation mount which has been documented to death here.

There is also the oil pressure sending unit right next to the oil filter that are known to leak, I'll bet that is part of youir issue. Clean it/around it and then start the motor and see if it leaks. You may have to drive it a bit if it is a small leak or it only leaks when the oil pressure is high.

B

When you change your oil, pick up a few cans of brake & parts cleaner. After you change your oil, clean that whole area really with the cleaner. I do this to mine and any of my customers.

You could also poke the filter with a screwdriver first before you take it off. This will allow the oil to drain out and less with drop onto your starter.

Check your valve cover screws and make sure they are tight. Oil will leak from the back of the cover and leak down near your starter.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

When you change your oil, pick up a few cans of brake & parts cleaner. After you change your oil, clean that whole area really with the cleaner. I do this to mine and any of my customers.

You could also poke the filter with a screwdriver first before you take it off. This will allow the oil to drain out and less with drop onto your starter.

Check your valve cover screws and make sure they are tight. Oil will leak from the back of the cover and leak down near your starter.

Thanks guys .....I just changed and made sure the valve cover gasket was good that's what I thought the leak was but u know its still leaks I clean it m.....n then ill drive it for 30 or so n then there is oil on it again .....ima check that oil plug u talked about precise ....if u can tell me where it located plz ...

If looking dead on at the oil filter through the fender IIRC it's just to the left of it(i know it's right basicly next to the filter can't remember which side 100% though). That reminds me, I need one of them myself... broke the end off where the wire connects when I did my starter, proably couldn't hurt to have that connected...

If looking dead on at the oil filter through the fender IIRC it's just to the left of it(i know it's right basicly next to the filter can't remember which side 100% though). That reminds me, I need one of them myself... broke the end off where the wire connects when I did my starter, proably couldn't hurt to have that connected...

Ok thank u I remeber seeing it when I changed my starter ......yea and I think that's real important .....