So Ya Had A Bad Day

Kittamaru

If you could get a picture that'd be great, cause, well, almost all my relays are blue XD

I have 3 new things to check:

A) The Relay

B) The 12v line (I'm starting to doubt my friends abilities)

C) My key

I say my key because, looking at my spare, my primary key is HEAVILY worn, and has, at times, had issues unlocking the doors and engaging the cylinder... so maybe, just maybe I can get lucky *shrugs* I like to dream

Lol, see the smiley icon when you go to post a reply? Two to the right of that (between the chain and the envelope) is the image icon.

Thing is, you have to upload it to a website. I suggest a free image host like imageshack or the like :)

yay.... well the blue one was the one tht has to do with starter, not always the prob but hey it could be....in mine it worked till i replaced my starter a year later,my starter was oem so it was bound to go

check it with yer FSM to be sure on yer truck mine is 94

yay.... well the blue one was the one tht has to do with starter, not always the prob but hey it could be....in mine it worked till i replaced my starter a year later,my starter was oem so it was bound to go

check it with yer FSM to be sure on yer truck mine is 94

one more thing ther are 2-3 relays to do with the ignition above the fuse box under the steering wheel,quick checks are always the thing to do before pulling parts

look on page 75 in the EL section of yer FSM

Problem is I don't have an FSM :( I've been looking around for em, but they seem impossible for find for the '90 Pathys... and my Haynes manual seems to have walked off, so I'll have to get a new one.

Thanks for the picture - i'll give it a shot :)

Problem is I don't have an FSM :( I've been looking around for em, but they seem impossible for find for the '90 Pathys... and my Haynes manual seems to have walked off, so I'll have to get a new one.

yeah i guess mine might be diff than a 90 but if you want a copy of the 94 and i can somehow send it to you then i will.....i use the hello out of it lol

ps one of those relays above the fuse block by your knee operates the back hatch window opener lol i think its the middle one(blue) JFYI

You can download a 94 version from the pinned link in the Garage section, all the important stuff is the same other than the dash and some wiring. Follow it until it is obviously not applicable, it should work fine for 90% of things...

B

Awesome to know :D That solves like, half of my issues with learning about the truck - my old haynes manual used a carbureted engine for the diagram, among other things, so the pictures, which were what I really needed, were of absolutely no help... I'm hoping a newer one is a bit better :D

edit

Maybe I'm just retarded... but I can't actually figure out how to download the thing - do I have to do it one "chapter" at a time?

Edited by Kittamaru

Awesome to know :D That solves like, half of my issues with learning about the truck - my old haynes manual used a carbureted engine for the diagram, among other things, so the pictures, which were what I really needed, were of absolutely no help... I'm hoping a newer one is a bit better :D

edit

Maybe I'm just retarded... but I can't actually figure out how to download the thing - do I have to do it one "chapter" at a time?

he he yep u have to right clic and save as on each one ........when u have them all in one folder then u can click on the chap named FWD and it will show an interactive cover page with each chap on it.....

Problem is how intermittent it is... the symptoms don't seem to add up to it being the starter... I mean, if it WERE a dead spot on the starter, it wouldn't matter what I do short of banging on the starter itself to move it... but yet, sometimes it starts when I play with the key, and sometimes it starts up right away, and sometimes it DOESN'T start even when I knock on the starter... that and it never cranks slowly, but starts right up... it, literally, is either

Start right away

or

Nothing at all

Which is why I am so set on a relay or a short or something... it is so much like it works when it gets power, but sometimes it just doesn't get power.

Problem is how intermittent it is... the symptoms don't seem to add up to it being the starter... I mean, if it WERE a dead spot on the starter, it wouldn't matter what I do short of banging on the starter itself to move it... but yet, sometimes it starts when I play with the key, and sometimes it starts up right away, and sometimes it DOESN'T start even when I knock on the starter... that and it never cranks slowly, but starts right up... it, literally, is either

Start right away

or

Nothing at all

Which is why I am so set on a relay or a short or something... it is so much like it works when it gets power, but sometimes it just doesn't get power.

how u explained that was damn exactly how mine went dont even ask me hoe i found it before probly precise or 88 or one of the guys for sure

when i changed tht relay it was fine for a year the next time it did it i bought a new starter with a ltw....hell i even forgot to take out the one i put in i marked the old one and put it in the relay box.....he he

my multi meter says all relays dont always need the same exact voltage to operate but starter drains too much when bad and viola

15 times u hit the key bam it starts ....next time forget about it till next day...bam starts first time.....

u would think that might discourage a fella....

naw...i love my baby and any funny quirks tht come along that may have me investing more time on the net and such tht i cuda got a degree lol

i might also add my starter was bad because it would slightly short out inside and cause the relay to not work i guess....i hope it works like it did for me if you have tht same relay there

Here's hopin :D

Well, I got word today that the truck should be done tonight/first thing tomorrow. Apparently he had to send the starter away for a rebuild + cleaning (at least it'll be oil free for when I do the filter relocation)... from what I'm reading, parts cost for a rebuild is only around $45 and it shouldn't take more than an hour, tops.

Does that seem accurate? If so, a rebuild shouldn't cost more than $150, right?

It's around $75 an hour here, and I'm assuming the mechanic that did the rebuild for my mechanic will be a douche and add extra time to turn extra profit *shrugs* I'm going for worst case here :)