Newb From Ky

jonyb

Hi all, just found this place and lurked for a while. Looks pretty informative as most all forums are. I'm in the Western KY area and work at an industrial facility full-time on a 14 day/month swing shift, and also am part owner of a small car audio/security and marine audio dealer in my town. I do mostly all the installs for our customers.

I just picked up a 95 Pathy V6 4x4 auto from a friend. It's been around my area for about 5 years that I know of and has been taken care of for the most part. Has a 3" lift (not sure how it's lifted just yet), 33" BFG's, black steel wheels, matching spare on the tailgate, and a roofrack that's just dying for 2 sets of Hella's.

The Pathfinder has seen better days though. I bought it with a burned up transmission. The big problem is that there's no reverse. 1st gear seems to lag a little like it slips as well. I think I have a used trans spotted locally for $200, but that's not a for sure deal yet. The local transmission shop said somewhere in the ballpark of $1,800 to remove, rebuild, and reinstall the current one that's in there.

I'll be using the search function for most of this, but since I have this thread, I wanted to ask a couple questions...

*The trans shop said the planetary gear is the main problem. Is this true?

*If I have it rebuilt, what's a reasonable price?

*I've read in the other threads about the Transgo shift kit. I'm assuming that the Planetery gear that's burned up will still need to be replaced, but will the TG kit give me most of the parts for rebuild? I know nothing about transmissions and I'm leaving it to the pro's around my area to do the work.

Thanks for any help!!! I'll post up some pics once I get back out in the shop.

Then link it for the guy... ;)

It is quite possible that the stock radiator cooler is clogged and this is why the tranny failed, loosing reverse is usually the symptom. Make sure you address this as well or the next tranny may not last. There are several threads about it and how to bypass the stock system. Let me know if you can't find them.

Also, these trannys are hit and miss with being rebuilt so before you have the old one rebuilt for $2k(about normal, they are a lot of work to remove), look around for a donor vehicle that can supply you for a known running tranny of the same years/model. That route is often much cheaper if you replace it yourself.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for the intro. Keep looking around and asking, we'll get you rolling... :D

B

Then link it for the guy... ;)

It is quite possible that the stock radiator cooler is clogged and this is why the tranny failed, loosing reverse is usually the symptom. Make sure you address this as well or the next tranny may not last. There are several threads about it and how to bypass the stock system. Let me know if you can't find them.

Also, these trannys are hit and miss with being rebuilt so before you have the old one rebuilt for $2k(about normal, they are a lot of work to remove), look around for a donor vehicle that can supply you for a known running tranny of the same years/model. That route is often much cheaper if you replace it yourself.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for the intro. Keep looking around and asking, we'll get you rolling... :D

B

I found the link before I started the intro thread. It's the Transgo kit, but I wasn't sure if I could have the trans shop use that and not need any more parts. I think I've found another trans locally for $200, so I may just buy that one, have it installed, then have them tear into mine to see what they think. Thanks for the advice on the trans cooler, I hadn't heard that one yet. Could I just bypass it right now to see if that works? If that's the case, I'm sure an upgrade would be in order.

Thanks for the welcome fellas!

Found some pics...

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00055.jpg

092.jpg

Here, follow this link to a couple of links to read that have more links in them. It should tell you all you need to know. :D

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24822&view=findpost&p=453872

I'm not sure which tranny rebuild kit or just shift kit you are talking about, but there are a few listed, some in the Garage section pinned or in the Garage/How To section. There is also a test precedure for the AT there.

Plenty of info, but perhaps Tex (TerranoNZ) will chime in, he just rebuilt his tranny and it even works!! :D

B

BTW, it looks like you have a suspension lift, not a body lift and nice rims, they look like mine... :D

Here, follow this link to a couple of links to read that have more links in them. It should tell you all you need to know. :D

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24822&view=findpost&p=453872

I'm not sure which tranny rebuild kit or just shift kit you are talking about, but there are a few listed, some in the Garage section pinned or in the Garage/How To section. There is also a test precedure for the AT there.

Plenty of info, but perhaps Tex (TerranoNZ) will chime in, he just rebuilt his tranny and it even works!! :D

B

BTW, it looks like you have a suspension lift, not a body lift and nice rims, they look like mine... :D

Thanks for the link.... I'll read up on this stuff before I make some phone calls on Monday.

I'm positive it's not a body lift. I knew it was suspension but I haven't looked to see exactly what the lift consisted of. I'm hoping they didn't just crank the TB's....

Kinda anxious to get this thing on the street. My daily driver is an 04 Caddy CTS-V and it doesn't even like the rain. Snow and ice is on the way for KY and I'm sure the Vettillac won't do so hot on all of that.

Back to the drawing board.... Someone locally supposedly had a trans for this truck for $250. At least that would get me around in it until I could have the other one rebuilt. Finally got in touch with that person, and it's for an Isuzu Trooper :scratchhead:

my baby girl Mini Me has her new home down in KY *sniffle* (no, i didn't want to sell her, yes, i had to)

I'm in SE indiana...... you should come up wheelin some time when you get all sorted out :)) til then, welcome to the family!

What part of KY did your's go to?

Southern Indiana? What town? I'm about 2 hours south of Evansville.

she went to louisville and i'm 16 miles SE of richmond out in BFE :D