Engine Build

robert

So, Decided since my pathy is down for the count, trans is messed up, going to do a minor resto on the whole thing

1.) Rebuild engine, and build for slight more power

2.) Have tranny rebuilt or purchase a used one and have bowler transmissions build it to be stronger

3.) Frame fix "rotted out"

Three main things im going for right now, any input on the motor performance will be much obliged.

Right now im looking at about 12week period to start and finish and will have about $4-6,000 to spend on everything.

Not looking for sports car fast but something more than 153horse

Even consider swap

well please help :)

as this will be photoed and documented through the whole build once started. and be fairly good looking rig once done

Thanks.

Robert

well for less than 2k you can buy a VG33. and install it.

10% bigger pistons more eficient combustion from the newer head castings and 10mm exhaust studs(instead of break-allot 8mm) are 3 really good reasons.

Since your buget is bigger you can have the casting seams bleneded out of your intake manifold(not polished, leave it rough) headers if you don't already have them, JWT s1 cam and a lighter valvetrain from ferra to improve throttle response(possibly over kill)...

I'd say just rebuilding a good 3.3 and swaping it by itslef is a good wakeup for a pathy and leaves you $$$ for other kinds of mods, heres a write up on the 3.3

http://nissan4wheele...131#62610276131

Edited by MY1PATH

+1 on the VG33! I'd either do that or build a VG34. Or do a VG30ET.

If your Pathy is an automatic I'd start with a newer transmission, rather than rebuilding/modifying the original. I've got an '01 Xterra trans in my '88. Supposedly these newer transmissions are significantly more durable. It certainly shifts better than any original Pathy trans I've driven.

If it's a manual, get maximum capacity bearings. Also, get a sealed bearing for the counter shaft at the center plate and take the seal out of the forward side. The number one cause of transmission breakage is failure of the center counter shaft bearing. This is because any and all metal floating around in the gear oil gets washed back and forth through the lower bearing, at least until it finds it's way to the magnetic drain plug. The worst thing is that any chips off the reverse gear will inevitably travel through the lower bearing before they get stuck to the magnet. You cannot run a fully-sealed bearing here as it will overheat, so you just take the forward seal out. My transmission rebuilder showed me this trick when he was building one of my racecar transmissions.

• 4 weeks later...

To pull the motor or not... I'm with you Robert. I have to do all 3 of those myself. I am leaking oil now at the the rear main seal, i have that stupid exhaust problem, the boots at the front axles are shot and leaking grease, and i have the miscellaneous frame rot. I can do it all except for the welding. I just really don't know if i have the energy to do it. I am wondering if it will even be worth it. shoot, it didn't leak a drop until this stupid cold snap (10 degrees, that's cold in Texas) and all the seals went to crap.

Mister 510, you have an 01 xterra tranny? swaps right out? and what other years will work?