R50 Remote Starter

Vla416

Hey everyone, I wasn't sure whether to post this here, but perhaps some of you have experience with this stuff:

I just bought a ProStart 2-way remote starter for my '99 R50. After locking my keys in w/ the engine running :headwall: I figured there must be a better way to warm it up in the morning...

My questions is: Does anyone have experience with this type of thing, and if so, is there a way to make use of the factory antenna (for the stock remote key-less entry) and connect it to the remote starter? And will I be able to leave the factory alarm intact while doing this? Any things that I should especially watch out for? I've never done this type of electrical work before, but I figure if I do my research and take it slowly I should be able to do a decent job.

To be honest if you want it done right take it somewhere because installing one of these things is a PITA especially with a factory alarm...Find the best auto electrics place in town and take it there.

Thanks guys... It's an automatic, but I think I will take adamzan's advice and just take it somewhere.

Adamzan, do you know of a good place in the Ottawa area? I live 3 hours away, but I might make the trip if I know the place is good... B)

Thanks guys... It's an automatic, but I think I will take adamzan's advice and just take it somewhere.

Adamzan, do you know of a good place in the Ottawa area? I live 3 hours away, but I might make the trip if I know the place is good... B)

I took mine to a place called autotrendz. A bit pricey at 200 dollars, but they did an awesome job. Yours will probably be cheaper since my unit was an alarm and remote starter combo and they had to remove an old one that a PO had but didn't work.

Autotrendz

135 Iber Road

Stittsville, ON K2S 1E7

(613) 836-9238

Thanks for the advice... I looked into it and I was told that for the 99 model year they put in a transponder in the key, and that the truck won't start unless the key is inside :wackinit: I'm kinda skeptical but after checking out some of the prices for the installation decided to hold off anyway... I figure those 300-400 bucks will keep my pocket nice and toasty while I'm waiting for it to warm up :D

Thanks for the advice... I looked into it and I was told that for the 99 model year they put in a transponder in the key, and that the truck won't start unless the key is inside :wackinit: I'm kinda skeptical but after checking out some of the prices for the installation decided to hold off anyway... I figure those 300-400 bucks will keep my pocket nice and toasty while I'm waiting for it to warm up :D

Nissan didn't start the transponder until 2000. If your's does have one, the bypass is simple. There's 2 ways to do it.

1. www.idatalink.com; they make interface modules for remote start to OEM. The ID piece wires in, then it's programmed by the installer. Once the programming is complete, the module simulates the key being in the ignition, but only while the remote start is in the remote start sequence (normally about 10 seconds). This goes for around $50-$75

2. A key box; Peripheral and DEI made a keybox that had a wire that wraps around the ignition cylinder. You had to physically put a working key in the box, then hide it under the dash (I always wrapped them in electrical tape and stuffed them way up under the instrument cluster). During the remote start sequence, the box with wire going to the cylinder, would simulate the key being there. These are around $25-$35.

Pricey, a little, but if you've ever had a remote start and had big changes in weather, you'll spend a few extra dollars. Im in Western KY so it's humid as can be in the summer, and in the 20's right now. When I get off work and my car is cold from sitting in the parking lot for the last 13 hours, I'll have it running 6 minutes before I get in to leave. It's nice waving and driving by everyone as they scrape their windows off. You don't have to do that if you set the defrost before you get out...

little tips here:

avoid box store (future shop) installs. best bet is a car audio shop with a good reputation.

the install should include a switch for the hood to disable the remote when the hood is open (can't lose a finger in the fan that way etc). The older/cheap way is drill a hole in the fender lip or rad support lip for a pin switch. To avoid the drilled hole (and rust), demand a mercury switch be used and attach to an existing bolt or hole on the underside of the hood. A good shop should already have these or at least can get them.