Crankshaft Sprocket Problems?

AeroSync

Well, we were changing the timing belt on my 1994 SE, and I noticed that the crankshaft sprocket has some play, but most importantly, it will not come off.

Is there a special way of removing it? I tried like in this picture, but no results.

TBSprocketRemoval.jpg

Yes, it should come off the shaft like that. The play in it might mean the woodruf key is worn, or it's groove in the crank shaft has worn.

You can try some PB Blaster and a little pressure with a prybar from behind it, not too much though. Avoid a jaw puller as you can mess up the gear teeth.

Yes, it should come off the shaft like that. The play in it might mean the woodruf key is worn, or it's groove in the crank shaft has worn.

You can try some PB Blaster and a little pressure with a prybar from behind it, not too much though. Avoid a jaw puller as you can mess up the gear teeth.

Agreed, but if the keyway on the crank shaft is damaged (not common but a few people have seen this) it may not be allowing the pulley to slide off. If you need force it off, a puller should work fine as long as as you don't touch the teeth or try a slide hammer gently. I think prying there is a bad idea...

Also, it is a rather a tight fit so make sure to clean off all rust, corosion, etc before attempting to remove it.

B