Engine Ticking

ChrisPerna

So i got a pretty ****** tick in the engine once it warms up, when i start it in the morning it wont tick for about 3-5 min then once it gets hot i got a tick. i thought it was my manifolds but its usally the other way around. any ideas?

im getting pretty pissed, im about to ask my parrents for a new moter (if i can even get one) for christmas for the thing, my dad owns a shop and we can put it in together but the ticking makes my truck sound like a pos

im getting pretty pissed, im about to ask my parrents for a new moter (if i can even get one) for christmas for the thing, my dad owns a shop and we can put it in together but the ticking makes my truck sound like a pos

my 1990 with 250,000+ miles on it ticks too from cold start to sometimes at normal operating temp....added Lucas oil treatment after flushing with seafoam and its getting a bit quieter finally....(was really loud after the flush job). I'm just planning on replacing the hydraulic lifters soon since it's not a difficult job. Engine still kicks ass so no plans to replace the entire engine.

Sounds like what my old 88 had... I'd bet good money on the lifter rocker shafts :aok:

This is what mine looked like

Rockershaft.jpg

Seeing as you have MPFI you will need to remove the intake top section to get to the other head.

I would say with a good/new set of rockers and shafts it'd be good to go...I put a used set in my 88 and stopped the ticking :aok:

Give things a damn good clean while your in there.

DSC01678.jpg

My guess is that your ticking is the lifters. My truck does the exact thing you described and i had a nissan mechanic tell me so and that its nothing serious. He told me that its not a big deal to fix but also not worth bothering with if you can live with the tick.

My guess is that your ticking is the lifters. My truck does the exact thing you described and i had a nissan mechanic tell me so and that its nothing serious. He told me that its not a big deal to fix but also not worth bothering with if you can live with the tick.

how do i go about doing that job, do i need any special tools?