Calling All Smokers!

Precise1

I just got an electric smoker and I'm rather excited about it. Drip pan, water pan, chip loader, temp and time controller.

Arb3001a.jpg

I've done the faux smoking with a BBQ but skipped right over the charcoal stage for the ease and reliability of electric (got a pretty good deal at 6am on Friday sale, only one in stock). That should help me get the time and temp a constant and let me work on the other aspect. As with much BBQ, the marinade or rub is a key part also...

Anyone have any recipes, tips or tricks for a novice smoker??

B

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Slick. No one else?? Really??

Well, so far I have smoked tri tip steak, a small pork roast, some rock fish, several pounds of turkey sausage and a chicken. All have been pretty good but definitely still need refinement. I'll be getting a book or two to read up on some of the tricks.

Pork loin must be mastered in addition to setting up a cold smoking system so I can smoke cheese, nutz and.... BACON!! :D

B

ooh, i live in smoker central, i'll ask some peeps for some good ideas/tips/recipies for you :beer:

Slick...I dont think he's talking about smoking carp or bull head...

Its really hard,you ether have to suck on there lips or rear end...and you damn well better have a porpane torqe ready since there not that good at keeping,a coal...

Edited by nismothunder

One of my co-workers has one. He is constantly bringing in briskets and rye bread for snacks at work. He also does trout and salmon. You could get all euro and smoke some hotdogs lolol.

his briskets are good, if you want me to ask him how he does them i'll let you know

Smoked cheddar is delicious, smoked gouda is a treat too. I'm thinking a smoked garlic jack or pepper jack needs to be tried... Hell, I'll try muenster and havarti too!! :D

Sure, if he has some tips for me, I'll listen!! I'm really interested in smoking fish...

No hot dogs, thanks. I don't even eat hot dogs, much less waste wood chips on them... :D

B

Today we're having applewood smoked Bacon and Jalepeno wrapped Duck. The duck marinated for 48 hours in Yoshida's Teriyaki marinade and orange juice. The orange juice kills most of the overly gamey taste. We're also smoking maple Elk sausage, wrapped in Bacon. :D

IMG00314-20091208-0952.jpg

Ready to go on

IMG00315-20091208-1015.jpg

Edited by Kingman

Today we're having applewood smoked Bacon and Jalepeno wrapped Duck. The duck marinated for 48 hours in Yoshida's Teriyaki marinade and orange juice. The orange juice kills most of the overly gamey taste. We're also smoking maple Elk sausage, wrapped in Bacon. :D

I always liked the gamey taste of Duck. I don't mind it that much at all.

Smoked cheddar is delicious, smoked gouda is a treat too. I'm thinking a smoked garlic jack or pepper jack needs to be tried... Hell, I'll try muenster and havarti too!! :D

B

I've had smoked horseradish cheese. wasn't too bad.