Oil Leak

Pathseeker

To start this off my Pathy has 278,000+ miles and has not leaked anything since I bought it this summer, So last week the alt/water pump belt broke and the engine overheated... a lot... almost maxed out the temp gauage before I noticed. I replaced all three belts and no problems. Except that now there is a slight oil leak from the front of the engine someplace, I checked the heads but didn't see anything so I don't think it's a head gasket... any Ideas? If the engine overheats does it build enough pressure to blow a gasket or seal?

Generally, the seal problems associated with overheating is the head gasket. It is possible that you have an oil leak that is not affecting the coolant passages. what you need to do is wipe things down well, especially old runs and caked areas then dust with a white powder, talcum is probably cheapest. Drive and inspect for leaks; it may not be a big deal but you have to identify the source... :shrug:

B

I took a look at it again tonight and I think the leak is coming from the oil pump area. The PS belt doesn't look extremely tight but I can loosen it a bit and I'll try wiping it down and using the white powder to to determine the exact point of the leak..