88 Cold Air System!

Here's what I am going to do! I am going to build an adapter to run an XJ air box in my Pathy. It will probably open up many options for different air filters as well. The reason is I am broke and have an XJ airbox with a K&N so I am going to use it. If it turns out well who knows. Tell me what you think, I think it might be a little more efficient.

Simon

Here's a much much much easier and far cheaper (free) cold air system for 87-89 Pathfinders. Disconnect the air ducting from the inner fender. Twist the ducting around so that its facing towards the gap between the headlight and the grill.

TAH DAH! Cold air intake. Just make sure you twist it back to the stock position when it starts raining or when you're traveling somewhere very dusty.

OK! The stock air cleaner is very restrictive! What I am going to do is fabricate a plenum that adapts the throttle body to run a 3" hose. Then I am going to mount an XJ air box with K&N in it, using the stock, but opened up, air location in the fender! SC88 that's a ram air, cold air means that you pull air from a location other than the engine bay, so the stock location is a cold air system. Just don't do what a friend of mine did and run it into the inside of his XJ, He could not figure out why He felt light headed all the time (just a hint he lives in UTAH and uses his A/C alot!!!!).

sorry, but it wont work; unless you keep the stock air box on the throttle body. the factory airbox has that wierd hump inside the filter. it creates some sort of volocity that the motor needs to run. the motor will not rev past 2500IIRC. I tried numerious styles of airboxs that sat ontop of the TB so I could run my snorkel. nothing worked untill I cut the stock box where the filter sat and built off there.

I dont know why, but the throttle body needs that stupid hump/hill to run. the motor just falls flat on its face without it. 4 different styles I tried. dunno.

Why don't you just get the correct K&N filter since it seems all your trying to do is make some setup to run one you have laying around. Nothing against tryign to build a better mousetrap here, but it seems like your just making a tail chaser here, especially if your goeing to use the same air intake spot... Are you actually goeing to run piping outside of the engine bay to make it a true cold air intake? If so where is the inlet goeing to be?

sorry, but it wont work; unless you keep the stock air box on the throttle body. the factory airbox has that wierd hump inside the filter. it creates some sort of volocity that the motor needs to run. the motor will not rev past 2500IIRC. I tried numerious styles of airboxs that sat ontop of the TB so I could run my snorkel. nothing worked untill I cut the stock box where the filter sat and built off there.

I dont know why, but the throttle body needs that stupid hump/hill to run. the motor just falls flat on its face without it. 4 different styles I tried. dunno.

The mass airflow sensor needs the turbulence to work properly