Vg30E Has A Very Weird Sound

Tungsten

also. i doubt the rubber came loose.

there are 6 small bolts on the front of the damper. If somebody changed the timing belt and don't know what they were doing, they probably pulled the pully and not the dampe first and when they put it back together they were miss aligned.

it wouldnt run 100 deg out.

look at the front of the damper, there are 6 bolts that holds the pully onto the damper. the timing marks are on this. the damper and pully are not keyed together, but the damper is keyed to the crank.

so how do i fix that :scratchhead:

Hmm, maybe the tension was set incorrectly. Gonna need to hear it. I would recommend taking a long screwdriver, and using it as a stethascope to listen around your engine. Just put the end of the handle in you ear and touch components and see if you can trace the noise to its loudest point. Be careful around moving parts.

Can you feel the noise with your hand on the distributor cap?

Clean out the plug hole and make sure nothing is by the plug. Spray some lubricant(PB Blaster-rust penetrant), down onto the plug and let soak. No need to get carried away, but dont spray too little. Try and loosen and then tighten the plug to let the penetrant do its work. Then try and remove. When you put new plugs in, put some anitsieze on the threads to keep a frozen plug from happening again.

Post a video... it would make life simpler...

Ive been trying to get it but its been raining and ruining the sound. I think I got something tonight, will try to post it. Its a very subtle knock, not harsh, so its a little hard to hear from a camera microphone.

OMG!! The tick is so high pitched that the microphone in my camera cannot pick it up. :headwall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY4AoXoNyh0

Well thats as good as I could get it right now.

Listen from about 0:11 to when my camera makes a squeak sound. I think it sounds like a blender.

Edited by Tungsten

We're trying to help you here so don't take this the wrong way.

In this thread you have refered to the sound as a tick, as a knock, and a squeal..

Which is it?

the squeal in the video sounded alike an auxilliary belt.

and the generally when there is a knock only while accelerating under load its a rod.

Lifter Tick is generally from a lifter, caused by lack of oil. wether that lack of oil is from a bad pump, poor oil, low level or oil pump.

We're trying to help you here so don't take this the wrong way.

In this thread you have refered to the sound as a tick, as a knock, and a squeal..

Which is it?

the squeal in the video sounded alike an auxilliary belt.

and the generally when there is a knock only while accelerating under load its a rod.

Lifter Tick is generally from a lifter, caused by lack of oil. wether that lack of oil is from a bad pump, poor oil, low level or oil pump.

oh the squeal wasn't from the engine at all, it was either from something i did to the camera while holding it or a squeaky gas pedal

my camera can't pick up the high pitched sound but as far as i know its definitely a spark knock at load

it sounds like glass marbles bouncing around in cylinders

so apparently the owners manual says that spark knock on acceleration is normal

however consistent spark knock when cruising is not and the engine should be adjusted at the dealer to fix it

anyone know what adjustment are they talking about?

i have that consistent spark knock when cruising (even with 93 octane fuel)

Edited by Tungsten

OK, the timing is set to 15 deg exactly!!

Now using new OEM cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

They told me that instead of trying to line up the pulley with the damper, they just made new marks on it. The pulley position really doesn't matter right?

Spark knock on load is gone. They said if it comes back on that setting, don't use 87 but use 89 or even 93.

I think it should be good but I need some comments. :)

BTW, 15 degrees seems to give less HP but the most torque.

Well, the engine is designed to be ran on 87 octane so I wouldn't think there would be any problems with it. We just don't have the high compression ratio to warrant high-octane fuel.

Edited by Kingman

well i don't have any issues on either octanes :)

i was just wondering if that pulley provides any additional balancing or if its safe to put new marks on it like they did

btw my timing was about 10 degrees off, it ran at 25 lol

Edited by Tungsten