replacement cams

MikeV

I am pulling my engine to replace the main seal.

While it is out I am going to:

1. timing belt, water pump

2. rings, will check bearings also (honing, etc)

after 225K I am guessing the cams are worn so I am wondering if anyone has used anything other than stock?

(I tow and wheel with my pathy)

Just wondering who has used what options, I searched but didn't find any usable info. :D

I picked up a set of nearly new (couple hundred miles) aftermarket cams that were purchased from 4x4parts.com (older part that they have replaced with ???) a few years ago.

Once I got to installing them I did notice a difference throughout the RPM range and a rougher idle. As a couple people pointed out, I will likely notice it more once I get the headers installed and do something to open up the intake more.

But that is typical, if you are going to upgrade the cams you also need to open up the intake and exhaust to take full advantage of the camshafts.

I am pulling my engine to replace the main seal.

Simply put, why?? You can replace it without pulling the motor, it seems like unnecessary work... :shrug:

I think Mr Jim has aftermarket cams also?? Jim wolf makes cams also IIRC.

B

Simply put, why?? You can replace it without pulling the motor, it seems like unnecessary work... :shrug:

I think Mr Jim has aftermarket cams also?? Jim wolf makes cams also IIRC.

B

Since you should install new springs and lifters when swapping out your cams, new cams were really cost prohibative for me so I went with reground cams from Schneider Racing. They don't do new for the VG30, but they'll resurface your old ones to a more aggresive grind and it'll only cost you around $200.

http://schneidercams.com/

Edited by jj big shoe