cranking slowly

71Dart

Hey,

I had my clutch done on my truck in late July, I was too lazy to do it myself, and i had no time, after i got it back from the shop it was cranking over really slow, but it was still starting, my truck used to crank over really fast and today it did not start in the cold and the rain. My first thought on this problem was that it was the starter so i left a battery charger on it overnight and it did nothing, i tested the battery yesterday and it read fully charged, so then i thought alternator but if battery is charged alternator is fine, the last thing i thought was starter, but i cant figure this problem out, some help me, if you have any questions let me know.

If anyone has had this problem or know of it, or have a link to a forum in here about it let me know (I did a search but didnt find anything)

Thanks,

Nick

I can think of two things real quickly:

a] if the slow cranking happened after the clutch change, it sounds like maybe the shop didn't get your starter back in correctly (starter bolts also hold transmission in place). Maybe it isn't in tight which is causing the starter gear teeth not to be square to the flywheel. Look at the starter to see if it is oriented correctly. Also, try grabbing a hold of it to see if it is loose or can be easily moved.

b] starter is just old and has given its last breath.

Either of the above kind of leads to the path of pulling out the starter.

Edited by andreus009

Check the wire connections at the starter, the battery terminals and the ground points. Don't just look, remove, clean and reconnect then hook up a volt meter to the battery. Record the charge, and tryuto start the truck while watching the gauge. How does the starter respond and how much voltage drop do you have??

I'm guessing battery, connections or wires themselves.

B

Check the wire connections at the starter, the battery terminals and the ground points. Don't just look, remove, clean and reconnect then hook up a volt meter to the battery. Record the charge, and tryuto start the truck while watching the gauge. How does the starter respond and how much voltage drop do you have??

B

I'm thinking so...

B

Any particular reason why you quoted, and agreed with, yourself?!?! :rofl:

Senility is a b!tch, isn't it B? :tongue:

Thank goodness he agrees... imagine the trouble if he thought that other guy's post was rubbish!

If you have an amp meter you should test the starter draw. A good motor will draw about 60 amps per 1000ccs. The brushes or copper windings in your starter may be worn, or your solenoid is not giving a complete connection. But yes, check the wiring, starter bolts, etc. first.

Edited by Kingman

I'm thinking so...

B

made my day. :D :D :Dbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thank goodness he agrees... imagine the trouble if he thought that other guy's post was rubbish!

biggrin.gif

:D

Have to agree with B, both times. Definatly start with checking-removing-cleaning-re connecting all connections. Odds are something isn't making good contact at the battery or starter. Starter has to be unbolted ot move the trans to get to the clutch, would generally disconnect the batt while doeing the job and if the starter wasn't tatally pulled they could have been lazy and let it hand from the wires, messing up the power flow.

i test the starter draw at the battery or? on the starter itself? still not home yet just wanna work on my truck!

Start with the battery only. Just get a reading, don't crank for minutes.

Clean all terminal/Ground/starter connections (yes, it's a pain, but you need to know they are in good shape) and then do the same test to see if there is a difference.

Then please post your findings and we can diagnose from there...

B

heres the update, cam home from work today and it was real slow and dead, hooked up the jumpers and brought it to life, i believe the starter is fine because it now cranked really fast and started, i tried to move the starter it was solid, i pulled the electrical plugs out at the postive terminal and cleaned, cleaned both terminals, however did not check the starter wires because it is very rainy day and my truck was dripping allover me. this sounds like power is being drained while power is off, i switched out the battery with my brand new spare for my other project, and it started fine.

is it possible that the power could be going somewhere with it off, i have a power locks problem where the locks auto lock when doors are shut (as a result of being broken into 2 times) any suggestions now?

Thanks

Nick

Very possible. If you don't have an amp meter, take it in to Les Schwab or somewhere that does battery tests and they will tell you how many amps are being drawn from the battery while the key is off. A draw even as low as 1 amp can drain a battery overnight.

If there is a significant draw, then start pulling fuses until you reach the one that cuts the power draw. Then work your way to the source from there.

Your old battery could just have been low on electrolytes and therefore loosing it's charge over time. If a battery is left too long without anything in it, the lead plates build up a thick paint of chemicals that make it early impossible to pass the electrons through for any length of time.

Just curious how things have worked out so far. I was approached by another member and have a high stakes wager on the root cause of your starter/starting issue. Kingmans advice about testing for draw is sound.

is it possible that the power could be going somewhere with it off, i have a power locks problem where the locks auto lock when doors are shut (as a result of being broken into 2 times) any suggestions now?

There have been a couple threads about auto door locks autolocking. I'll see if I can find something...

B

Hey B,

I hope you put money on the Battery, i have a 71 dodge that i took the battery out of because it was brand new, and it has cranked slowly since then, the reason i posted was because i would jump it and it would be fine and then start slowly later, i will also do a check for auto locks auto locking

Thanks again for the help,

Nick