More Tranny Questions.

Yendor

I have a 95 auto and I'd like to know what's kind of going on here.

When shifting from any gear to drive, it takes about 3-4 seconds before it engages. Also when it's shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's a rough shift. It's very smooth to all the other gears though. Lastly, when I'm stopped at a stop light I just step on the brake and leave it in drive while I wait for the light to change. Every once in a while when I waiting, I'll feel the truck surge just a little. I didn't think this is normal.

Could this be the beginning of the end?

Edited by Yendor

Check your fluid. Is it brown or smell burned? When was the last time it was changed? Are you running the stock cooler or an aftermarket unit? The stock units on these are known to clog up and starve the transmission of fluid and proper pressure, which in turn destroys the transmission. The rough shift from 1-2 is somewhat normal with these transmissions.

When you come to a stop and you feel the surge, you are probably feeling the transmission kick down in to first gear. It shouldn't be kicking down after you've stopped, however. They usually kick down at about 5 mph or so.

If you fluid is old, I'd change it out and install an aftermarket cooler rated for at least 15,000 lbs. No, scratch that. You should do that anyways, simply because of the benefits and security of having one installed.

Every once in a while when I waiting, I'll feel the truck surge just a little. I didn't think this is normal.

Could this be the beginning of the end?

Do you have the auto climate control? Or do you leave your a/c on? I remember the first time the compressor in my truck kicked on when I was at a stop light and the truck jerked forward and surged. Scared the crap outta me!

I just changed the tranny fluid a couple of months ago and added a tranny cooler last month. My fluid still looks pink and doesn't have a burnt smell.

I don't have auto climate control, but I do have the A/C on. So that's just the compressor kicking in when stopped?

I've never experienced any of this in my car which is a manual.

Check to see if it is the air compressor. Stop somewhere where there's no one around you can piss off. Have the AC off and see if you feel the surge. Then do it with the AC on and repeat. The results will be pretty self explanatory. :aok:

Check to see if it is the air compressor. Stop somewhere where there's no one around you can piss off. Have the AC off and see if you feel the surge. Then do it with the AC on and repeat. The results will be pretty self explanatory. :aok:

I drove home from work with the AC off and guess what. No surging! I never thought the the ac would cause that.

Now to find out why there is delay in my tranny.

I drove home from work with the AC off and guess what. No surging! I never thought the the ac would cause that.

Now to find out why there is delay in my tranny.

I find the engine rev's up a considerable amount when the a/c comp engages on mine. My other pathfinder doesn't do it and doesn't make quite a thunk that my DD does.

The clunk is caused by the clutches in the AC compressor. When the bearings become worn and the clutch engages, it grinds or clunks. Some constantly grind while it's turning, others just clunk at first then quiet down. And some just completely seize after a while and roast your belts.

• 4 weeks later...

i would try changing your transfer case fluid it helped someone else on this forum.... Also install tranny cooler very good idea.

my pathy was doing this as well and my transmission went also i had no after market cooler...

i have only owned my truck for 3 months, so i dont know how long this has been going on for. might have been a while and the aftermarket cooler may save your bacon