Redline MT-90 for R50

ticker

So its been a few days since I put the Sta-Lube 85w-90 GL-4 in the transfer case transmission. (Manual calls for the impossible to find 75w-90 GL-4) As I was forewarned, when cold shifting into 1st and 2nd is a bit stiff. I'm not really thrilled with this. I also heard a bit of a wine for the 1st half mile or so this morning. It was cold(relatively) last night, about 50 F and I'm concerned what is going to happen when it gets to be 10 F outside. I found out that JEG'S, which is right down the road sells REDLINE MT-90 which I've heard good things about. Anyone running this in their R50?

Moved from original thread due to lack of response/ subject change

Original thread

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24016

reason for edit...brain fart, thanks steve

Edited by ticker

cool, thanks for responding.

I'll be interested what shifting feels like at 6:30 tomorrow morning as it is supposed to go down to 38F tonight.

Edited by ticker

I did add 1/2 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer. Perhaps that made the difference between a little stiff shifting and really stiff/grinding issues...

I don't ever deal with anything less than 20F though. :shrug:

B

I did add 1/2 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer. Perhaps that made the difference between a little stiff shifting and really stiff/grinding issues...

I don't ever deal with anything less than 20F though. :shrug:

B

Well I left at 6:30 this morning and It wasn't as bad as I thought. It was cold enough to frost the lawn and windows, but the shifting didn't seem to bad. Stiffer than it was with the old oil but I can live with it. No whine this morning. The other day it didn't want to up or down shift into 2nd or 1st very quickly, like the gears weren't synchronizing fast enough. Maybe it just needed a few days/miles to work itself in? :shrug: I may try the lucas first as I don't really feel like changing all the oil again, although I am getting pretty good at it. :happy:

Thanks

You mentioned GL-4 in the transfer case at the beginning of the thread, do you mean the transmission? The reason I ask is because you are talking about notchy shifting.

DOH, I meant the transmission I don't know why i wrote transfer case. I'm going to fix that.

I figured it was the transmission. MT-90 is a little thick compared to the OEM stuff, which has a viscosity of 12.1cSt. MT-90 is 14.0 or so cSt. Now this wouldn't matter if you were in a warm climate, but I remember when it got cold, my shifting got a little notchy. The easy thing to do is add a quart or more of Redline MTL. MTL has a vis. of 11.1cSt. This will get you closer to the 12.0-12.5cSt range, which is optimal for these transmissions. These two GL-4 fluids mix just fine. Right now I have the OEM stuff and my shifting is fine in any temp here in New England.

Assuming that the viscosity mixing is a linear function, wouldn't 2 qts mt-90 and 3qts MTL put you at 12.2ish cSt??

Is my math or comprehension lacking??

B

Nope, your math is good; viscosity mixing is linear. MT-90 and MTL also use the same base fluid. Another tidbit is that the Nissan stuff is a 75W/85.

• 3 weeks later...

Update- Its been unseasonalbly cold here for the past week and cold shifting has been just horrible. Today was the fist day I've had to put in the MT-90. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. On the bright side I've changed the gear oil 3 times in the last 30 days. The first time I was covered in dirty oil and had to throw out the shirt and jeans I was wearing because they smelled so bad. Today I did it in less time, only went through one pair of gloves, and only managed to get a few drops on the floor. :D

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it feels when cold.

Too bad you don't live somewhere hot and with a beach. I need a vacation.

Its really not to bad to do

This is my painless method

Here's my set up.

One hand pump like this(I don't think I spent this much but you get the idea)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...08074_200008074

one or two 2 2/2 gallon buckets. I found them at target for $2.50 each

surgical type gloves

1-make sure you have the right fluid!

2-test the fill plug to see if it is going to come out but don't remove all the way. This is so the overfilled fluid doesn't come pouring out all over you and the floor(trust me this sucks)

3-put bucket number one under drain. open drain plug, let drain for a few minutes. replace drain plug

4-If necessary jack up appropriate side of vehicle, mine is the passenger side. This is so you can overfill transmission a bit if required.

5-take out fill plug, put right end of pump into fill hole. I wedge it in using the exhaust so it can't back out.

6-Use other bucket as a safety for the bottle of fluid. Place open bottle into bucket. This way it can't fall over. Sit comfortably next to vehicle and pump till its empty, continue until fluid reached recommended level

7-replace fill plug

8-rock on

Edited by ticker

A man can never have enough latex gloves or buckets/catch pans... Trust me!!

B

No Doubt!

Just wanted to say that the shifting is now smooth with the MT-90 in the transfer case. Its amazing how bad it felt before with the sta-lube. Thanks for the help!

-T