Manual trans/clutch problems - open to suggestions

CaughtLikeFire

hey fellas -

hate to make my first post on troubleshooting my Pathfinder, but I want to take care of this problem before it gets worse.

I just purchased an '01 SE manual with 114k miles and apparently I didn't figure out all the problems during the test drive. Here's the deal:

1) the clutch does not slip under power and I don't have excessive resistance when shifting. seems fine during a short drive at low speeds.

2) there is a whirring noise when I depress the clutch at idle. It goes away when I release the clutch. the noise happens most of the time but not always. I thought it was generic engine noise when I first drove the vehicle (my daily driver is a 2008 VW GTi so I expected a lot more noise with the Pathfinder).

3) when driving in 3rd gear, the shift lever want to pop into neutral. it hasn't actually come out of gear yet, but the shift lever rocks back and forth. I've tried to hold the lever up against the front of the shift gate (i.e., immobilize the lever in 3rd gear) and I can feel it fight back pretty violently.

4) when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at higher RPM (above 3k), I get a slight crunch. Not a loud grind but it's definitely gears that are not meshing.

I'm not sure if all of these symptoms can be explained by one component going bad . . . I guess it could be a bearing issue combined with one synchro going bad, but given the mileage and excellent condition of the vehicle, I'm hoping it's all related to the clutch and/or associated bearings and it's not a bent shift fork or bad synchros.

This could delay my OME suspension purchase . . . and it definitely means no new rims :headwall:

This sounds exactly like the symptoms a member here had recently. His fix was a new transmission, as his syncros were shot. He was popping out of gear, and had issues with bearing noise as well.

This sounds exactly like the symptoms a member here had recently. His fix was a new transmission, as his syncros were shot. He was popping out of gear, and had issues with bearing noise as well.

we'll see what some new Amsoil synthetic trans fluid does (might get the fluid changed this weekend). I'm really hoping that the transmission itself is ok.

I think you may need a new tranny or a rebuild. The whirring noise you hear is the throw out bearing starting to go. The grinding is likely the syncros. Maybe the previous owner was not aware that Nissan Trannys require GL4 fluid, and they/their shop, used GL5 and it ate the syncros? Hard to tell for sure.

When you replace the fluid, if you find particles in the old stuff as you drain it. Don't put in the expensive synthetic. You'll only have to buy it again if indeed the tranny is shot...my .02

2) there is a whirring noise when I depress the clutch at idle. It goes away when I release the clutch. the noise happens most of the time but not always. I thought it was generic engine noise when I first drove the vehicle (my daily driver is a 2008 VW GTi so I expected a lot more noise with the Pathfinder).

that kinda sounds like a throwout bearing to me

3) when driving in 3rd gear, the shift lever want to pop into neutral. it hasn't actually come out of gear yet, but the shift lever rocks back and forth. I've tried to hold the lever up against the front of the shift gate (i.e., immobilize the lever in 3rd gear) and I can feel it fight back pretty violently.

both my 87 tranny and 95 tranny do that so that seems to be normal to me until it starts to pop out of gear (which it can do if you match the RPMs with the syncros and put pressure back on it towards N which is normal)

4) when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at higher RPM (above 3k), I get a slight crunch. Not a loud grind but it's definitely gears that are not meshing.

sounds like a syncro starting to go...change your driving style a little bit..for mine I used to have it out of 3rd and on my way to 4th as the clutch was in...I found out that if i gave the clutch more time to engage and not rely on my syncro's it didnt grind but if I drag race off the line i'm going to grind what i started doing is clutch to the floor before grabbing out of 3rd to go to 4th and make sure its in 4th before releasing the clutch

I'm not sure if all of these symptoms can be explained by one component going bad . . . I guess it could be a bearing issue combined with one synchro going bad, but given the mileage and excellent condition of the vehicle, I'm hoping it's all related to the clutch and/or associated bearings and it's not a bent shift fork or bad synchros.

I don't think you have a bent fork...think you may have a throwout bearing starting to groan and some syncro's staring to wear but I don't think they will give up the ghost on you anytime soon...my 87 tranny has 275k on it and when i got it it had 192k and both 2nd and 4th had issues with grinding but i figured out how it liked to be driven and no more grinding unless i was driving it harder than normal in whihc case syncro's or not it was going into gear no matter how much noise it made...i know my 2nd gear to fix that i would go from 1st towards 1st and down into 2nd and that seemed to cure it and 2nd only ground in the cold temps

I donno if the 01 tranny is the same as the 87-95 but i know the 2001 auto that i removed looked very similar to the 95 auto i removed

Are you referring to me, Simon? Lol...

Well, I also had difficulty engaging the first gear and sometime it would grind and jerk back into neutral. Sometime it gave me a shock when I was sleep-driving, lol... When my friend changed the transmission fluid, he found several teeth on the drain plug and I ended up with a new transmission and clutch.

Whatever it is, I hope its not gonna be an expensive repair like mine.

By the way, are the transmission and clutch considered to be the weakest link in the pathy that comes with standard transmission? I'm just wondering...

yeah, me too :D

but a clutch is never cheap. I can get the OEM clutch disc, pressure plate, bearing, and bushing for $300 + shipping but the labor is what kills.

my transmission isn't as bad as yours . . . I can feel the shifter jerk around sometimes but it stays in gear. The bearing is definitely on its way out but it's not loud - I can hear it with the windows up and blower off. the grind is just a quiet crunch, nothing like my uncle's pathy with bad synchros. kinda like if you let out the clutch a little too early on a fast shift. I'm actually starting to feel better about this - might just be the clutch not fully engaging/disengaging. if the 2nd gear synchro is just a little worn, Amsoil synthetic might even "fix" it.

I'm taking the car to a reliable local mechanic to get the MD state inspection done tomorrow. I'll talk with them about the trans issues and see what they have to say. It's a really clean, really nice pathy but I'm kicking myself for not diagnosing this problem before I purchased it as an "as is, no warranty, dealer special."

Edited by CaughtLikeFire

yeah, me too :D

but a clutch is never cheap. I can get the OEM clutch disc, pressure plate, bearing, and bushing for $300 + shipping but the labor is what kills.

my transmission isn't as bad as yours . . . I can feel the shifter jerk around sometimes but it stays in gear. The bearing is definitely on its way out but it's not loud - I can hear it with the windows up and blower off. the grind is just a quiet crunch, nothing like my uncle's pathy with bad synchros. kinda like if you let out the clutch a little too early on a fast shift. I'm actually starting to feel better about this - might just be the clutch not fully engaging/disengaging. if the 2nd gear synchro is just a little worn, Amsoil synthetic might even "fix" it.

I'm taking the car to a reliable local mechanic to get the MD state inspection done tomorrow. I'll talk with them about the trans issues and see what they have to say. It's a really clean, really nice pathy but I'm kicking myself for not diagnosing this problem before I purchased it "as is, no warranty dealer special."

sounds like a syncro starting to go...change your driving style a little bit..for mine I used to have it out of 3rd and on my way to 4th as the clutch was in...I found out that if i gave the clutch more time to engage and not rely on my syncro's it didnt grind but if I drag race off the line i'm going to grind what i started doing is clutch to the floor before grabbing out of 3rd to go to 4th and make sure its in 4th before releasing the clutch

/quote]

I actually drive/shift pretty conservatively. But I do need to utilize the power I have on tap sometimes, like when merging onto a major highway. I can't shift at 2k RPMs all the time - if it's really that bad I'm getting the trans rebuilt.

thanks to everyone for their input so far. If I need to replace the throwout bearing, I'm getting it down now along with the clutch/plate. hopefully that will resolve the issue - I'll report back.

update - replaced the clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced. I also replaced all of the driveline fluids with Amsoil synthetic. Shifts are smooth, no noise, no grinding :D

Now it's time for some mods. I recently added Nissan manual locking hubs, Goodridge SS brake lines, and Hawk LTS pads and suspension is up next - OME springs/shocks and KYB struts are on order from 4x4parts. I'll also be knocking out some other maintenance items in the next month: plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, and TB + MAF cleaning.

My checkbook hates me right now . . .