32" Tires - 265/75 - Gearing Question

sthrnfat

Looking to move up to 32" tires (265/75/16) and wonder about the truck being sluggish with bigger tires (increased diameter, added weight, wider contact patch, etc). Having run bigger tires on a couple of different trucks without regearing I know that increasing tire size can cause the truck to feel sluggish and can make the truck shift early (auto trans).

Recently had a Titan and ran bigger tires than stock but the truck had a ton of power and the tire change was no problem. My concern is that the 3.3 already feels underpowered and don't want the truck turning into a slug with the bigger tires.

Any feedback on power loss when going to 32s? Just trying to figure out how noticable it is and if the transmission (auto) is shifting early and forcing you to try to run at higher rpms to stay on top of the gear.

Edited by sthrnfat

Its funny you mention that.. I've noticed with my truck (98 Pathy auto) jumps into lower gears all the time even if theres a slight incline in the road. It drives me nuts. I know my tires aren't made for Hwy use at all, but I never thought it would make that much of a difference. Mine are only 31x10.5x15 MT Baja Claw (got talked into the smaller size due to the possibility of rubbing... its Nowhere close to rubbing) So if anyone knows how I can fix this problem, I'd be interested in giving it a shot as well :-)

I run 32x11.50R15 MTR's on black steel wheels, and I definitely noticed a reduction in acceleration, braking, and an increase in A/T gear-hunting and torque converter locking/unlocking at freeway speeds, compared to 31x10.50R15 BFG AT on aluminum wheels. From what I've heard, MTR's are heavy, too.