Spare tire tools

zbeck

Can someone post a picture of the spare tire tools? I cannot find a picture anywhere, and everyone here likes to play dumb.

I bought a 98 pathfinder a few weeks ago, and now that I am on a 1200 mile trip, I have found all the tools are missing. Yeah, yeah, I made a mistake and forgot to bring some from the other pathfinder. It wasn't a big deal since we had new rubber, but now after two flats from debris, AAA saying there is no way to help us, FDOT assistance not helping, I've had enough. Mazda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, and dodge tools don't work. I've been to all the junkyards in the St Pete area, and the ones with tools, take them out and throw them into one box... so, I have to know EXACTLY what the right thing looks like. They also want to _____ me on the price. Which reminds me is $600 at Nissan with a 3 day wait after I go pay for it.

Anyway, tires cost $50 more down here than at home at the same store. So, not only do I get to sit on the side of the rad for 7 hours, it is getting expensive. I am one day away from $10 angle grinder from harbor freight.

For real. I must be missing a whole lot! Wow...that's a lot of stuff...One thing I'm kickinmyself in the balls for is that spark plug wrench thing. Threw it out by accident! Damn it.

I have already seen this diagram online. It is not accurate. This is why I asked for pictures. A picture of the end that goes into the lowering mechanism will help greatly.

Now before someone argues this diagram is 'right', I have been harassing random pathfinder owners in the St Pete area to look at their tool kits. Everyone so far is missing the rod to lower the spare tire. None of the other tools look exactly like the diagram. I have also used FAST for almost a decade, and I know how much accuracy Nissan lends to the diagrams.

my '00 vehicle came with the basic spare tire tool kit

P/N

99596 - the little storage bag

99545 - lever handle

99618 - jack adapter

99550 - bottle jack

99613 - rod for lowering tire/lifting vehicle

and here is your stupid picture; not because i want to help you, but because i want to prove you wrong.

DSC07949.jpg

DSC07947.jpg

and here is your stupid picture; not because i want to help you, but because i want to prove you wrong.

Thank you for the picture. Now, since you have proven yourself 'right'... want to explain tool 99545? It is exactly like I said... the diagram isn't accurate. I am sorry you took this so personal. When I said "here" in the first post, I meant in St Petersburg, FL, not this messageboard. People that live here don't really know where anything is having to do with cars, part stores, or junkyards, so it is very frustrating.

my '00 vehicle came with the basic spare tire tool kit

P/N

99596 - the little storage bag

99545 - lever handle

99618 - jack adapter

99550 - bottle jack

99613 - rod for lowering tire/lifting vehicle

Whats with the agro mate? If the guy has looked at a few physical tool kits and every single one of them is missing the rod, it wouldnt be wrong of him to think it wasnt part of the original equipment.

BTW, cheers for clearing that up with the pic, thats what the forum is here for, to help each other & share our knowledge in a friendly environment.

P/N 99545 is the handle which attaches to the end of the long rod. the T end of the long rod is inserted into the tube thingy to lower the spare tire. it is also used to raise the bottle jack.

the long rod is stored under the rear seat. it's easy to overlook it.

I have already seen this diagram online. It is not accurate. This is why I asked for pictures. A picture of the end that goes into the lowering mechanism will help greatly.

Now before someone argues this diagram is 'right', I have been harassing random pathfinder owners in the St Pete area to look at their tool kits. Everyone so far is missing the rod to lower the spare tire. None of the other tools look exactly like the diagram. I have also used FAST for almost a decade, and I know how much accuracy Nissan lends to the diagrams.

I made one outta pretty much nothing since nissan wanted $50 or more for it. It's just a 3/8" in. rod with a couple of bends and a 3/16" pin (actually a broken drill bit ground down) in the end - the spinny rubber and PVC parts are my own addition:

this will help with the business end:

drill a 3/16" hole in the rod, grind a broken 3/16" bit to about 1.25" long, push it thru, center it, and then hammer the big rod flat across the hole to capture it.

hint: keep the pin and the handle bends in the same plane, and it will fit nicely under the back seats.

The original was apparently straight and had a square-drive end to fit into the tire tool thing, which was the crank. I guess you could buy a gigantically long socket extension and kill 20 bits making the hole for the pin in if you still wanted to do it that way. My design replaces both parts for less than ten bucks - if you had to buy it all.

VERY IMPORTANT - lube the freaking chain before you crank the spare back up - the chains tend to rust up and get stuck, then you have to crank three up and five down to get three more up.

Edited by carwilef7

Thank you for the picture. Now, since you have proven yourself 'right'... want to explain tool 99545? It is exactly like I said... the diagram isn't accurate. I am sorry you took this so personal. When I said "here" in the first post, I meant in St Petersburg, FL, not this messageboard. People that live here don't really know where anything is having to do with cars, part stores, or junkyards, so it is very frustrating.

99545 Is the crank handle, and also doubles as the lug nut wrench. It is right, my friend.

Jose

I think the confusion about that diagram was caused by the "draftsman artifact" of a cut-away in the drawing to reduce the amount of space required to show the part. What appears to be a gap - making it look like two parts - is the cut-away. It's a really one-piece part.

Another thing that drives me nuts in manuals is photos that show parts locations. They show close-ups, but provide little reference as to the global location. Example - idle adjustment photo in Haynes shows a phillips screw, a disc thingy that might or might not be the EGR transducer, might or might not be the EGR valve itself, and some vacuum tubing. For the newbie, this would mean searching the entire engine to find the right view - and that view can only be had by taking the engine out or having a neck like a snake. It's like being told to go to Christchurch and look for one black sheep - you know it's on Earth somewhere, and not Jupiter, but you may not know that it's in the Southern Hemisphere in New Zealand.

I wish they would add a little window with a large map location pointer like Nat'l Geo does, or go back to line drawings - I could use the work.

I finally tracked down a person in St Pete with the lowering tool. He was extremely helpful, and was happy we talked because he had no idea the tools were under the backseats, so win-win. My father-in-law and I searched through 8 crates of tools at a junkyard. The only ones that had a pin arrangement at the end were 12-16" long. Junkyard wanted $30 for a jack. I said screw it, got a $12 harbor freight jack, and hit Home Depot to make the tool. I ended up using a threaded rod which I drilled and drove a pin through.

With the new tool, the tire would not come down. Tried the tool on another pathfinder and it worked perfect. Obviously, something is wrong with this pathfinder. I borrowed an angle grinder from their neighbor, and cut the ears off the part the holds the spare. The spare was up so tight it sounded like a shotgun when it let loose. We positioned a bunch of sturdy items under it to prevent it from falling so we were lucky it didn't come flying out. Once the tire was out, further inspection to the mechanism revealed that it is broken. It will only move back and forth a small amount and makes crunchy noises inside. I will just get another one from the junkyard, and open up this one later to find out exactly how it is broken.

If anyone in the future needs to make the tool...

The rod diameter is right at 7/16".

The drive pin across the end is a little less than 1/4" and a little more than 6mm in diameter. It is 1.42" long which is very close to 36mm

The overall length of the tool is about 35 1/2".

Distance across the flats is .360" and around .600" in length.

npora_082709.JPG

r50_99613_1.jpg

r50_99613_2.jpg

r50_99613_3.jpg

I said the drawing isn't accurate. It isn't. If you need to look up the word "accurate", please do it before replying. Look inside the circles on this picture... do those look exactly the same to any of you? When you have a cartoon, it is hard to gauge size and scale. As was pointed out already sections and details are missing in the diagram. It isn't meant to be an accurate representation. This is why I specifically asked for a picture. I was going to chock this up to a misunderstanding, but I tend to get testy when people take a dump on my threads. I sent a PM to the author of the original reply before my last post. I've tried to be civil.

$600 was for the jack and tools. The person on the phone said he couldn't 'pick and choose' the tools. Since I knew that was a lie, I just said ok, and scratched them off the list. The other 2 dealers I called were a no-go, also.