Electric rad fan install

frecklecolouredbrain

hey all

I just swapped out the old fan/clutch for an electric fan and WOW what a power difference. I use a (hayden?) 16" with a TCI control switch. Works great, but i won't turn off.

There is a wire that is supposed to hook to my A/C switch to override the thermostatic controller, but i don't have A/C. The little spanish piece of paper told me took hook it up to a toggle switch if i don't have a/c, but it doesn't say what that toggle is to be hooked up to. So, I figure that since it's a powered wire, the toggle should run to ground(which i tried), or the toggle runs to power(which i don't want to tried until i'm sure i won't blow the relay.)

As for now i'm just pulling the fuse when i shut'er down.

has anyone done this before? what am i doing wrong? I hate electrical!!!

red wire connect to battery

black--- to gnd

brown---to temp. switch on rad then temp switch to Keyed power with yellow wire

green wire( runs off of brown wire)----to a/c control switch.

--------this is to override the temp. switch and keep the fan on.

orange wire + fuse----to fan power,

there is a diode on the green wire.

i'm imagining that override works by taking power from the a/c control(green wire), when the power is cut by the temp. switch(brown wire). this would give that relay terminal a constant power supply, keeping the fan on.

I think i'm gonna just get in there with a multimeter tomorrow, try some things out, and if i blow the relay i'll just put a switchin the blank spot on my dash.

brown---to temp. switch on rad then temp switch to Keyed power with yellow wire
I'm not sure I understand, but if I do that's going to be the problem. Sound like you're getting power to the relay whenever the ignition is on. You could either figure out what the kit's relay is wired like or just pull the relay you have and stick a regular SPDT in there wired like below. Just the relay part, no need for a complete re-wire of what you already have. You can get the relay at any parts store.

post-253-1250279867_thumb.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

thanks for the diagram, but i tried a few things on my lunch today, and i think that my switch is faulty. either that or it's not getting to 185F. I'll have to test that out this sunday.

I even tried direct power(fan came on) and direct power through the temp switch(fan stayed off). I'll leave it 'til sunday, cause i need a break from wiring.