Strut bolts

180sx

OK, so I need to replace my strut bearing (and maybe the upper mount). So i got a new one (got it from NAPA, its half metal and half ABS...Funny, because the last time i got it from napa for the oppisite side it was all metal...cheap asses, and i still don't know what the damn OEM one looks like!

Any way, one of the strut bolts has the nut striped and wont come off. So i need to cut it off. Does any one know what size bolt and grade it is? also my nut for the sway bar seemed to disapear (i was wondering why that side got so bouncy all of a sudden!) and the end link is just dangling. Any one know what size that nut is?

On top of all this I think either my CV joint finally went (have a torn boot for like a year now) or the wheel bearing is going bad. It makes a ike grinding, but not, noise when i'm driving. But it stops as long as im on the brake. Maybe its the brakes? i dont think it is, but i havent had time to look...damn! fix one thing and something else breaks! at this rate im never going to get this thing lifted! (and my poor 15x10 wheels will just sit in my garage...so sad :( )

Jose

When I don't have the exact size and it isn't listed in the usual sources (FSM, here, google), I usually take the part or a similar sized on to HD to figure out the exact size and thread pitch. Then I go here and get Class 10.9 (Metric) or Grade 8 bolts.

www.nutsandbolts.com

www.boltdepot.com

the strut mount bolts and sway bar end links use flanged nuts; the strut mount bolt is also flanged. i'd recommend going to the dealer and getting the nuts and bolts from them. it's less hassle - in my opinion - than figuring out the thread/pitch of the nut, then finding a suitable replacement. most nuts/bolts on our vehicles are metric fine-thread, and are difficult to find at your local hardware store. buying online is also a hassle, and probably not worth it to pay for shipping for a few nuts and bolts.

if you're going to lift your pathfinder, i would just replace the strut mount bolt with camber bolts, even before the lift is installed. you can buy a pair from O'Reilly for $27.99. i needed two pairs for my vehicle (AC lift).

an easy way to learn the thread of your end link nut is to just bring the other nut to the hardware store and match it up.

at my dealer, the strut mount bolt is $4.29; strut mount nut is $1.88/ea; end link nut is $1.11/ea. you may save a dollar or two by going to Home Depot, so the real question is: how cheap are you?

as for the grinding noise... if the noise goes away when you apply the brakes, it's probably the brakes. it's obviously directly related to the brakes. just pull off your wheels (if they're not already off) and verify that your brake pads are not metal on metal, or wearing unevenly.

if it's not the brakes, it could be the wheel bearing. does it always make the grinding noise, whether you're going straight or turning? does it only make the noise when turning in one direction, but not the other? does the grinding noise change with vehicle speed?

you say it's a "grinding, but not" noise. my bet is the brakes.

I replaced my strut bolts with G8 9/16" x 3"(IIRC) fine thread. They are M14 bolts to begin with which are not normally stocked anywhere in my neck of the woods, so I went with the nearest size imperial, worked like a charm.

My replacement sway bar end links have M12 x 1.75 threads on them, but it could be different for OEM or other replacement part suppliers.

HTH

Rim.

• 5 years later...

Last time I put my strut bolts back in one of them took a lot of convincing so I know next time it comes out, it will be destroyed. I might pull the trigger on some camber bolts. Just to be sure, the camber bolts go in fact in the same place as the strut bolts, right!? For the longest time I couldn't really figure out where those camber bolts actually go LOL.

Strut to knuckle bolts are m14x1.5 thread, about 3" long with a flange head and a stepped shank. I'd either get them from a dealer, online nissan parts reseller or since you're planning a future lift, replace them with camber bolts. Yes, camber bolts replace the large bolts at the lower strut mount/knuckle.