This price reasonable for OME lift installed?

madmike283

Hey guys and gals. I'm looking into lifting my '01 LE. The local shop down the road just did an '03 a couple weeks ago. They gave me the price for a complete OME kit with OME springs/struts/shocks. It doesn't look like they charged him for any other parts except for some brake hose clips. The parts totaled $883.24 ($150 front springs, $150 rear springs, $180 for shocks, $200/ea for struts). They charged 3 hours for lift install, 1 for pressing struts, and 1 for alignment @ $90/hr for a total labor cost of $451.50. The total bill was $1452. Does that seem reasonable to you guys? I see that the parts prices are right on par with rocky-road.com. It seems like the parts cost is about as good as I can get based on that. Labor is what it is.

So, is anyone running the full OME kit with his struts and shocks? How are they compared to any of the other options?

I also asked about Warn manual hubs. They can do them for $240 parts, and maybe another hour of labor... so about $330 more. Are there any reliable sources for rock sliders and/or skid plates now for these things? I'd seriously be interested in doing this around the same time.

Any advice from the crew? I received some hail damage a couple weeks ago and I just got my estimate done. $4500 is what they're going to give me to fix it. I'm thinking about just pouring some of that into lifting, etc. and saving the rest instead of fixing it.

overall its a slightly high price, but im surprised to see that they did not mark up cost on the springs. They did however mark up the struts big time.

Thanks for the info. Where do you see the price for struts? rocky-road has them for $201/each. The '05-'06 struts are much cheaper, but what I can tell is the '96-'04 struts are $201 on there as well. Any detail on that? Thanks.

I'd say that's a fair price, if they can commit to the times you posted! I had access to a hoist and spent 3-4 hours for the complete install and that was by myself and taking my time. Be sure to get new strut bearings during the install, well worth the additional $50 (get OEM Nissan). The prices are inline for the springs & shocks. I paid just a bit more or less when I installed mine in 06.

Hubs are something you can do in your driveway, if you have the desire, you can save yourself some $$. Buy a case of beer and complete the install in 1 hour or less and have drinks for the rest of the day!

Comment back on the OME struts if you buy them. Given the price, not many install them. You may want to consider KYB's and save some $$ to put towards the sliders. I bought KYB's when I did my OME install and I cannot speak highly enough of them. Far cheaper than the OME struts and by far the best option for the R50. Many other here will agree!

Edited by HFXpathfinders

Parts prices seem pretty good aka in-line with what I've seen elsewhere.

Labor is a bit higher than what I paid here in DC but I shopped around a LOT and the guys who did my truck sold me a winch and mount as well, so they cut me a break on labor. I assume you don't want to DIY.

The OME strut price is in line with street price - *if* they have it in stock. I've been looking around for a pair. ARB USA has 4 passenger side, no driver side. :rolleyes: There are none on the container currently on the way from Australia. I was told the minimum wait time was 8 weeks. But if your guys have them in stock, jump on 'em. If they have 2, please PM me so I can grab one. :D

Edited by GoPathyGo

Those rates seem reasonable.

If you wanna save a bit you could get them to install the KYB GR2 struts instead... That's why I chose them instead of OME, and I'm happy with mine (seems like everyone else is too). I have the OME shocks and they seem good too.

Hubs you can definately do yourself, and I think I paid around $130 shipped, save yourself $200 doing it yourself.

OME shocks and struts are actually Monroe and painted yellow. Yes they are custom valved for ARB but they are still a Monroe and i dont think they should be selling for $200 each. KYB GR2 is a great strut and only costs $120 ea

OME shocks and struts are actually Monroe and painted yellow. Yes they are custom valved for ARB but they are still a Monroe and i dont think they should be selling for $200 each. KYB GR2 is a great strut and only costs $120 ea

I just got GR-2 struts from Amazon for less then $90 each, inc. shipping. They're sitting here waiting to be installed.

:rofl:

Oh man, you may just have saved me a ton of money. I already ordered the rears but those aren't super-expensive and I can return em if they look like they s*ck. Check out this link.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/16977/...ed_Monroes.aspx

It will be interesting to take a look at these OME/Monroe rears when they arrive at my house.

:rofl:

Oh man, you may just have saved me a ton of money. I already ordered the rears but those aren't super-expensive and I can return em if they look like they s*ck. Check out this link.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/16977/...ed_Monroes.aspx

It will be interesting to take a look at these OME/Monroe rears when they arrive at my house.

Not intending to flame here but, I'll step in as I've seen the OME, KYB and Munroe struts side by side (by side). The OME struts use a thicker rod diameter than the KYB & Munroe and also have an additional 1/4 inch travel. This is intended to withstand the "abuse" of off road and the valving is different. True, they are manufactured by Munroe, but they are not similar to any Munroe line available for the R50. Kinda like comparing a similar Nissan vs. Infinity model...a little more refined for its purpose!

As for the rear shocks, the same is true. The piston rod is larger in diameter than the comparable KYB & standard Munroe shock and of course the valving is different with a little longer travel (3/4" I believe).

On top of that, the Aussie link is for a VQ not an R50. The link you posted is from '04 and the shocks/struts have change part #'s since then and have become more refined. You can search the improvements by checking out the Aussie Nissan forum, where this has been discussed many times.

KYB's are a better strut option only as they have a life time warranty and have stood the abuse of many forum members for many years without failure (unlike Rancho).

Edited by HFXpathfinders

Not intending to flame here but, I'll step in as I've seen the OME, KYB and Munroe struts side by side (by side). The OME struts use a thicker rod diameter than the KYB & Munroe and also have an additional 1/4 inch travel. This is intended to withstand the "abuse" of off road and the valving is different. True, they are manufactured by Munroe, but they are not similar to any Munroe line available for the R50. Kinda like comparing a similar Nissan vs. Infinity model...a little more refined for its purpose!

As for the rear shocks, the same is true. The piston rod is larger in diameter than the comparable KYB & standard Munroe shock and of course the valving is different with a little longer travel (3/4" I believe).

On top of that, the Aussie link is for a VQ not an R50. The link you posted is from '04 and the shocks/struts have change part #'s since then and have become more refined. You can search the improvements by checking out the Aussie Nissan forum, where this has been discussed many times.

KYB's are a better strut option only as they have a life time warranty and have stood the abuse of many forum members for many years without failure (unlike Rancho).

No offense taken. Good info. It was news to me that Monroe and OME come out the same factory. Yup, the part # may have changed, but I was under the distinct impression that they were totally separate shocks etc. So I was quite surprised to find they were made by the same company AND at the same facility. Makes me wonder whether the thicker rod diameter and slight advantage in travel are enough to justify the steep price tag - 1 OME strut = 1 pair of KYBs and a few bucks left over for some more itunes downloads! There's a reason I have a Pathfinder and not a QX4. :D I'm cheap!!!! And the dash clock was $30 from a junkyard. :lol:

Edited by GoPathyGo