New pathfinder but problems

Jessyj

Here's my problem, bought a pathfinder cheap from a lady because she was sick and tired of it, spend alot of money on it but couldn't solve problem. the problem is the pathy starts prefectly idles ok ,but when reving it won;t go pass 2000 rpm,i've cleaned ta MAF sensor an TPS but problem is still there. I also took the battery out after reading some of the other right ups but same problem.

Can anyone help me here please?

its either the maf or the tps. I had that problem on my 300zx (same motor) and something bit the wires on the MAF so it wasnt getting a reading. i have a MAF off my old pathfinder i parted out if ur interested. Try unhooking the MAF and turn it on and see if it even makes a difference. You should notice a difference when you do. If you dont then i would say thats probably your problem then.

Edited by edicer2

Not reving past 2000 RPM means its in failsafe. This could be from several issues. Even though your check engine light is not on, perform the code check in the how to section and see if any codes are present. Let us know what you find.

This is what I came here to say...

I'm seeing some views, doesn't anyone have any advice?

Give us a moment to respond, eh? Rather good advise than quick garbage, right?? :D

B

This is what I came here to say...

Give us a moment to respond, eh? Rather good advise than quick garbage, right?? :D

B

Hahahahaa, your right i'll do the code check as sone as i get off work

Edited by Jessyj

its either the maf or the tps. I had that problem on my 300zx (same motor) and something bit the wires on the MAF so it wasnt getting a reading. i have a MAF off my old pathfinder i parted out if ur interested. Try unhooking the MAF and turn it on and see if it even makes a difference. You should notice a difference when you do. If you dont then i would say thats probably your problem then.

Would be great but i'm in the caribbean. i'll see if i can get one here and let you know

Ok did the error code diagnostics and this is what a gave me.

12.air flow meter/mass air flow sensor which i cleaned it like the write up instructed,also when i start the car and take of the conector of the MAF sensor the motor dies,(does that mean that it works?)

21.Ignition signal ( i really don't what means, i googled it but nothing) any suggestions?

34.knock sensor ( this i will see if i can get one here and change tommorow and what it does)

So any insite on this problem anyone?

thanks

Not reving past 2000 RPM means its in failsafe. This could be from several issues. Even though your check engine light is not on, perform the code check in the how to section and see if any codes are present. Let us know what you find.

Ok did the error code diagnostics and this is what a gave me.

12.air flow meter/mass air flow sensor [/color] which i cleaned it like the write up instructed,also when i start the car and take of the conector of the MAF sensor the motor dies,(does that mean that it works?)

21.Ignition signal ( i really don't what means, i googled it but nothing) any suggestions?

34.knock sensor ( this i will see if i can get one here and change tommorow and what it does)

So any insite on this problem anyone?

thanks

Sounds like the distributor, or coil, or amplifier is bad. The MAF code could be from you pulling the plug off, and it's got the code stored.

Sounds like the distributor, or coil, or amplifier is bad. The MAF code could be from you pulling the plug off, and it's got the code stored.

[/quote

What should i do then? why is it giving me a knock sensor code? i have a good distributor laying some i'll change that first and check

thanks for your input

well since it dies when u pulled it off then i guess that means your wiring to it is good. sometimes the good can hit it because its so close and can wreck the end of the wires so then it doesnt think its connected. SO you know if anything is actually wrong with the maf it is the actuall maf its self and not a bad wire. It should of still ran with the MAF unplug though. I know for a fact that mine will start and run with it unpluged becasue when i put my air intake on i forgot to hook it up. Figured it out after woundering why it ran so bad. My freinds nissan quest (has the same motor) would drive around fine with out it pluged in and has been that way for years. It just revs up and down when its sitting at a stop light.

I cant remember but i thought there was a way to clear the codes?

only thing with the knock sensor is my freind had a 240sx he swaped a different motor into it and it gave him a tps, maf, and a knock sensor code. Well he just messed around with it a little bit and they all went away and it ran fine. He had the tps in the wrong possition and his MAF wasnt connected good. it would just sit there and rev up and down.

My 300zx (same motor) would run fine at idel but wouldnt rev up past 2400 rpm when i got up there it was like hitting the rev limiter. I had a chewed wire going to it (thanks to mice when i stored it) I needed a new maf and wires to fix it.

idk if this helps but those are my past experiences with it.

Edited by edicer2

well since it dies when u pulled it off then i guess that means your wiring to it is good. sometimes the good can hit it because its so close and can wreck the end of the wires so then it doesnt think its connected. SO you know if anything is actually wrong with the maf it is the actuall maf its self and not a bad wire. It should of still ran with the MAF unplug though. I know for a fact that mine will start and run with it unpluged becasue when i put my air intake on i forgot to hook it up. Figured it out after woundering why it ran so bad. My freinds nissan quest (has the same motor) would drive around fine with out it pluged in and has been that way for years. It just revs up and down when its sitting at a stop light.

I cant remember but i thought there was a way to clear the codes?

only thing with the knock sensor is my freind had a 240sx he swaped a different motor into it and it gave him a tps, maf, and a knock sensor code. Well he just messed around with it a little bit and they all went away and it ran fine. He had the tps in the wrong possition and his MAF wasnt connected good. it would just sit there and rev up and down.

My 300zx (same motor) would run fine at idel but wouldnt rev up past 2400 rpm when i got up there it was like hitting the rev limiter. I had a chewed wire going to it (thanks to mice when i stored it) I needed a new maf and wires to fix it.

idk if this helps but those are my past experiences with it.

Ok. I did what suggested unplug the MAF sensor and see if there is a difference but the motor will start but dies after a few seconds, does that tell you anything? I'm going to check my coil next not sure if that will help

thanks

Do you stil have that MAF sensor ?

Ahhh Curacao....I have been there twice and love that island! Kinda off your topic, but what an awesome place to live AND have a pathfinder! Hope you get the issues worked out!

Ok. I did what suggested unplug the MAF sensor and see if there is a difference but the motor will start but dies after a few seconds, does that tell you anything? I'm going to check my coil next not sure if that will help

thanks

Im tring to remember what that was because mine as done that before but normally it does run even with it unplugs jsut runs like crap though. I almost wounder if its not the maf causing it although it sounds like it is. I do still have it if you need it. I would hold off on it until we see what some others think.

Im tring to remember what that was because mine as done that before but normally it does run even with it unplugs jsut runs like crap though. I almost wounder if its not the maf causing it although it sounds like it is. I do still have it if you need it. I would hold off on it until we see what some others think.

[/quot

How much for the Maf sensor? will you be able to ship it with ups for me ?

• 3 weeks later...

Was able lend a new maf sensor from a local nissan dealer, changed it but the truck kept doing the same, now i'm checking the fuel pump

hey sorry i forgot to check that. well that nice of them to let you test it out. keep us posted on what you find out. To me it still sounds like limp mode or a senor of some sort i would think with a bad fuel pump it would just not work or would not work every once in a while rather then govern the motor to 2k

Edited by edicer2

hey sorry i forgot to check that. well that nice of them to let you test it out. keep us posted on what you find out. To me it still sounds like limp mode or a senor of some sort i would think with a bad fuel pump it would just not work or would not work every once in a while rather then govern the motor to 2k

Ok, here is what i did today, i took out all the spark plugs, all were black like burnt, i'm still waiting on another fuel pump to swap it and see what results it will bring. any ideas why the plugs are like that? maybe to much gasoline?

yes it is very possibole something else could trigger that error code. my freind was getting a knock senor error code on his 240sx and it ended up being fine just the maf senor was acting up casing it to think that (he got both knock and maf codes) Im not sure what causes them to run black. I know if they are white that means your running really lean. Do they smell like they are really gasy or not really? sometimes they just turn black if they arent changed in a really really long time.

yes it is very possibole something else could trigger that error code. my freind was getting a knock senor error code on his 240sx and it ended up being fine just the maf senor was acting up casing it to think that (he got both knock and maf codes) Im not sure what causes them to run black. I know if they are white that means your running really lean. Do they smell like they are really gasy or not really? sometimes they just turn black if they arent changed in a really really long time.

Hmm, i didn't smell them but i'm gonna get some new ones today, i'm still waiting on the fuel pump to see if maybe that the promblem, if not i can strap that of the list. i reseted the ecu but it keeps giving me the maf sensor code, anto i already ruled that out.

Do you know where the ground is connected for the maf senor?