Any one know about bulk oil funaces?

nismothunder

So A while ago(few weeks) I moved out of my parents house and into this decent lil' house.Its a real decent house for the money but there are a few flaws.It was converted to a wood stove about 10 years ago from a bulk oil furnace.Well the furnace is still there and hooked up and still works but its a midevil old b!tch.But I prefore to burn wood myself since I like cutting it and spliting it.

But since I'm working peice work I have a lot of time on my hands.So I started playing around with it and low and behold I got it running,and it works good...but after about twenty minutes the whole house starts stinking...I mean real bad.So heres the Q...why is it doing this...is it cheap to fix,could it be the fuel or some thing else.I mean it really stinks and gives every one in the house a pounding head ach so I figure its fums.Could it just be something plugged up or some thing esle?Also the only reason I did this was I was bored and theres a almost fuel tank of the oil next to the house and I thought it would save me some money on bar oil and gas on cutting wood for the stove.

Any help is greatly thanked.

Like burning oil,at first i thought it was hot dust coming out of the floor vents causeing it but no its most defintly burning oil.Thats why I was wondering if the chimny could be plugged.Also the smell get real bad by the furnace and starts coming from the vents.But its almost like it starts coming from the vents first and then the furnace.

check the chimney.. you need to clean it anyway if you're going to burn a boat load of wood this winter.

the other thing could be that the baffle that segregates the fire box from the circulating air could be damaged. i came across that once but it was opposite of yours as the woods stove was the one that smoked me out of the house. lol

btw. heating oil is kind of expensive and not very efficient.

Ok, I was going to clean the chimmy any way.

And yeah I know that oil is exspense but I already have a near full tank and my parents have one thats more then half full that they've been trying to get ride of for a while so I'm going to get that.

And I figure when I run out of fuel I can cut one of the tanks in half and have a pig roast.The tanks make great bbq's

depending on the house and furnace, you probably have a month's supply. MN right? but you could supplement your wood heating.. i did that with LP when i lived in the styx.

and yummy.. those burgers smelling like your house right now.. ;):D

Well if they converted from oil to wood it could be that the chimney was removed or blocked on the oil furnace.

Wood is better anyways, free if you have trees on your property and it's a renewable resource, unlike heating oil.

Yeah,I like wood too.But the main idea of getting it going and working good was so if I go someplace(roommate included) I could just run the furnace at 50-60 degrees and not worry about having somebody come over and stoke the stove so the pipes wouldnt freeze.

And the burgers taste just fine since you wash the tanks out before using them as bbqs.You'll be surprized at how big of a hog you can get in one.And a lot of people do it.

you wash the tanks out before using them as bbqs

you can't really wash these chemicals out.. some burning may help but you can't really ever get rid of the stuff.. sure many may be doing it, but when you grow a third ear, remember that "i told you so". :D

Naw...My spawn may grow the third ear but thats there own bad luck.

And this is how ya clean them.First you cut the tank in half.Some people take this time to install a loading gate(I dont now if I'll do it like this)You then fill it with your faverate derezer and let it soak.(I've seen people use grill cleaner stuff and others will just use engine degrezer)(I now I cant spell so let leave it at that since I think you all know what I mean) And then you wash it out.Then you loud it with wood/coal.I prefer coal since it will burn for 2 days before you have to restoke it.After that you remove the coal ash and wash it out.A lot of people will put aluinum foil on the bottom because of it heat reflecting tendisee's(I now) so most of the heat will go toward the hog when its cooking(it is already getting most of the heat but this helps.)

Also,I left out that you scrub the tank while it has the cleaning substance in it with steal wool or your choice of scrubber.

Be careful, I hope your not getting carbon monoxide, with the headache and all

Yeah I figured I was so all the windows are going to be open next time I turn it on.

Also,I got around to cleaning the chimmy(Well not completly since my uncle has my dads chimmy cleaning tool...brush?) I climbed up(I'm scared of highets fyi but as soon as I get up there I fine...I guess I'm scared of ladders.)And I take the top off and what do I find.The thing is almost completly cloded with soot.So I clean it about eight feet down and burn one of the magic creosoot removing logs.But it seems to be working better now(the chimmy).Also the amount of soot I got out of it is amazing.three wal mart bags full of the crap and I'm not even half way done.

you can't really wash these chemicals out.. some burning may help but you can't really ever get rid of the stuff.. sure many may be doing it, but when you grow a third ear, remember that "i told you so". :D

id have to agree..that kinda stuff can never be fully taken off any surface..