Steering issues

Xetabur

I'm kinda new to the older pathys and have one quick question. The steering in this thing sucks, is it the steering gear going bad or the front suspention or both. I must say this thing is a tank-236k miles on original motor and trans.! No rust either!

The centerlink tie rods and ball joints are probably shot. I had to change every single one to make my steering feel decent again. You should check each component first though. I just poured money into it.

Thanks for the fast response guys. It just feels like everything is loose up front and steering has severe play in it. I've heard the horror stories about the rust and so far it's looks good up under there. The only thing I've done to this truck so far is a trans flush at the dealer and changed plugs. Trans shifts hard from 1st to 2nd until it warms up. I have noticed going up hills that it feels a little sluggish. Can't wait to start modding.

i buy my tie rod ends, and ball joints on ebay... cheapest ive found :)

tranny cooler at autozone or walmart, anywhere really. (Hayden 59 (i think 59?) is what ive been using for about 5 yrs now)

Hoohaa makes a nice aftermarket centerlink.

4x4parts.com has idler arm braces, bodylifts, etc...

Are the suspension parts on ebay any good? I would think at that price they wouldn't even make it down a trail. I would check out Rockauto.com for tierods and ball joints.

I heard somewhere that we can get beefier tierod ends from a Chevy or something. Does anyone know which truck?

I just got my rig back from a control arm bushing, ball joint, and alignment job and I gotta say my old rig is feeling alot more stable when running down the highway, also got rid of the most annoying sqeek at low speeds. :beer:

• 1 month later...