Automatic Transmission Fluid

Tungsten

I'm about to change the ATF but I remember Nissan recommended something to use to fix the rough shifting before warmed up. It was a Nissanmatic or something I can't recall. Anyone remember or know what Nissan recommends for the transmission?

have you looked in your OM?

Yes I looked in the manual and it only says to use DEXRON type but I remember there was a TSB somewhere that the Nissanmatic C should be used to prevent rough shifting when cold.

I read somewhere else that Nissanmatic J should work too and here is where to get it: http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=3912

EDIT: Buy Nissanmatic D instead, J which is now S is for new models, 01 and up.

Edited by Tungsten

This article agrees with that Tungsten.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/atf.htm

Detxtron is GM...

This is a quote from a Nissan/Infinity mechanic here...

The transmission fluid- you can use Dextron/Mercon. What I noticed about using that fluid, was that the shifts seemed to be a little more harsh and the fluid would burn up quicker(due to temps). But if you install the cooler, you may be just fine. There is a friction modifier that you can get in a bottle from nissan and it could be added to your new fluid. We used it in Sentras cause the transmissions would "squeak". I can get the part number if you would like to try it.

and

Personally, I would go somewhere and get it flushed. Ive used a flush machine for years and it works great. You can get about 99% of the fluid changed and it never runs low. You may have to do some checking around for prices and find out how much fluid they use to do the flush. We typically use 16qts to make sure we are flushing out as much of the old fluid as possible. If you want to go to a synthetic, thats up to you. Here at Infiniti, we use Valvoline full synthetic trans fluid which is compatible with all of the new and old fluids. Good stuff as far as im concerned. Well, we havent had any problems anyway.

From the article...

Most ATF can withstand normal operating temperatures of around 200 degrees F for tens of thousands of miles. But if the temperature of the fluid rises above 220 degrees F the fluid starts to break down quickly. Above 300 degrees, fluid life is measured in hundreds, not thousands of miles. And above 400 degrees, the fluid can self-destruct in 20 to 30 minutes!

ATF contains ingredients to improve its oxidation stability as well as other additives to reduce foaming and inhibit corrosion. Over time, the protective additives can also break down causing the fluid's lubrication properties and viscosity to change for the worse. That's why fluid breakdown is the leading cause of transmission operating problems and failure. Most experts still recommend changing the fluid and filter every 2 to 3 years or 24,000 to 36,000 miles -- or once a year or every 15,000 miles if a vehicle is used for towing or other severe service use.

I myself have a cooler hooked up already and will install a temp gauge and probably a inline filter, then have it flushed.

B

I know, it cost me about $180 total...lol

I probably spent more money on the truck this week than I did in 2 years lol

Still cheaper than buying a whole transmission though :)

35 lbs of shipping is typical for me, lol...I remember the time I ordered brake parts...

UPS must not like me very much these days

Also,

Get a big one like me

IMG_1104.jpg

What the hell is this and where do I install it?

Edited by Tungsten

Bump!

Where does the filter go?

While I'm waiting for my ATF to get here, I took a quick look at mynismo. They have some pretty good stuff on there including those NGK plugs!

Also,

What the hell is this and where do I install it?

It is a heavy duty filter. I have not installed it into my truck yet. Haven't had time. My dads friend is a hydraulics engineer and he takes apart transmissions for fun. He gave me that and said my transmission will never die.

lol those clutch packs or fibrous disks inside the transmission still wear out no matter what you do but you can always prolong their lifetime by providing proper cooling, correct fluid, filters, etc

It is a heavy duty filter. I have not installed it into my truck yet. Haven't had time. My dads friend is a hydraulics engineer and he takes apart transmissions for fun. He gave me that and said my transmission will never die.

Do you have a brand name, manufacturer, filtration size, etc he recommends??

B

Ok now this is great...

I went over to the dealer to get the pan gasket, the o-ring, and the filter and asked about the right ATF.

He said to use Nissanmatic D and if anything he would not use Nissanmatic J or S. Now WTF is up with that? Here I have 16 bottles of J(S) and now what am I supposed to do?

Turns out that the J and S stuff is for the newer transmissions like after 2001 so do not use it. I exchanged it at the dealer for the D now I should be good.

Edited by Tungsten