Poly bushings

180sx

Ok, so since my trailing arm bushings are shot to the point that my rear axle actually walks when I'm driving, I'll be upgrading to the poly bushings. I have a few questions, though.

On 4x4parts.com (AC) they have 2 different ones. One is split (cheaper) and one is not. Is there really any difference? I've read people cut them to make it easier to install if you don't have a press. I have a press, so I won't need to split them, so is the non-split better?

Also, they have these bushings for the front:

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=712

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=711

Anybody have these? is it worth getting them? Any opinions on them is very much welcomed. thanks!

Jose

Ok, so since my trailing arm bushings are shot to the point that my rear axle actually walks when I'm driving, I'll be upgrading to the poly bushings. I have a few questions, though.

On 4x4parts.com (AC) they have 2 different ones. One is split (cheaper) and one is not. Is there really any difference? I've read people cut them to make it easier to install if you don't have a press. I have a press, so I won't need to split them, so is the non-split better?

Also, they have these bushings for the front:

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=712

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=711

Anybody have these? is it worth getting them? Any opinions on them is very much welcomed. thanks!

Jose

According to the description, these are 2 different parts replacing 2 different bushings for the front. One set is for the front part , the other the back part of the link...

First product : These bushings are for the lower control arms on your FRONT suspension. They go in the front part of the lower control arm

second product : Bushings fit in the rear part of the lower control arm.

I have the rear lower & its well worth it if you can pop out the old bushings & pop in the new ones yourself (or if you can find like a mom & pop shop to do it for cheap), otherwise just buy new lower control arms, cause shops will charge an arm & a leg to do it.

Are the lower control arms the main problem that causes the sway or are the upper arms likely a problem too? Want to get it right, but don't want to pay for parts that may not be needed.

Labor I got - it's money that's tight! :D

I don't mind doing in twice, but thought it would be worth it to ask if someone has done the lower arms only and found that it tightened things up.

Edited by sthrnfat

Are the lower control arms the main problem that causes the sway or are the upper arms likely a problem too?

Its just the lower that cause the death wobble. That was all I replaced & it completely fixed that SNAFU

SNAFU is an acronym meaning "Situation Normal; All fskced Up". The acronym is believed to have originated in the US Army during World War II.

In modern usage, "snafu" is often used as an interjection, as a shorthand for the sentiment expressed by the phrase. "Snafu" is also sometimes used as a noun or verb, referring to a situation that suddenly goes awry or gets screwed up, or to the cause of the trouble. For example, the May 19th, 2005 edition of The New York Times had an article titled, "Hospital Staff Cutback Blamed for Test Result Snafu."[2] The piece described a mix up with cancer screenings that occurred at a hospital because the facility didn't have enough workers to process the tests.

I have the 4x4parts rear split bushings. We destroyed a 10,000 lb hydraulic press trying to get the old bushings out though! the second press finally did the trick.

Thanks Adam for that enlightening little history lesson (I already knew that though, thats why I used it)

FUBAR - F*ck Up Beyond All Recognition - is also another favorite of mine. I also used to work at a bar called FUBAR.

SNAFU is an acronym meaning "Situation Normal; All fskced Up". The acronym is believed to have originated in the US Army during World War II.

In modern usage, "snafu" is often used as an interjection, as a shorthand for the sentiment expressed by the phrase. "Snafu" is also sometimes used as a noun or verb, referring to a situation that suddenly goes awry or gets screwed up, or to the cause of the trouble. For example, the May 19th, 2005 edition of The New York Times had an article titled, "Hospital Staff Cutback Blamed for Test Result Snafu."[2] The piece described a mix up with cancer screenings that occurred at a hospital because the facility didn't have enough workers to process the tests.

I have the 4x4parts rear split bushings. We destroyed a 10,000 lb hydraulic press trying to get the old bushings out though! the second press finally did the trick.

Haha. Whe I asked about it I didn't know I would get a lesson. Haha. thanks for clearing that up though, Adam!

Question again. Is it really worth getting the poly bushings over getting new OEM ones?

Jose

I'd also replace the uppers while you are at it. On my 2001 the uppers were in worse condition than the lowers. It's not much more work to get the uppers off anyway (they are actually easier than the lowers).

Just be prepared to have to cut the bolts that hold the lower arms to the axle. The rest of the bolts should come off without too much work- assuming you have a nice big breaker bar and lots of PB Blaster.

As far as getting the old bushings out- I took my control arms up to a local auto shop and they got them out for me quick and easy and only charged me $20. But you'll be making a couple trips back and forth- if you take out all the arms at once you are going to have a heck of a time getting the axle back in place- so only do one side at a time.

As far as the bushings- I used the set of split pushing and they are working perfectly. They are very easy to install- just use some grease and a rubber mallet to tap them and the insert in to the arms.

One other thing, if you do end up needing to cut the bolts off holding the lower arms to the axle I found that you can use a set of Grade 8 9/16 bolts instead of the Grade 10.9 metrics as replacements.

I'd also replace the uppers while you are at it. On my 2001 the uppers were in worse condition than the lowers. It's not much more work to get the uppers off anyway (they are actually easier than the lowers).

Just be prepared to have to cut the bolts that hold the lower arms to the axle. The rest of the bolts should come off without too much work- assuming you have a nice big breaker bar and lots of PB Blaster.

As far as getting the old bushings out- I took my control arms up to a local auto shop and they got them out for me quick and easy and only charged me $20. But you'll be making a couple trips back and forth- if you take out all the arms at once you are going to have a heck of a time getting the axle back in place- so only do one side at a time.

As far as the bushings- I used the set of split pushing and they are working perfectly. They are very easy to install- just use some grease and a rubber mallet to tap them and the insert in to the arms.

One other thing, if you do end up needing to cut the bolts off holding the lower arms to the axle I found that you can use a set of Grade 8 9/16 bolts instead of the Grade 10.9 metrics as replacements.

I got the Death Sway from the trailing arm bushings.

Billy