Gasket or no gasket?

magregor

swappin the oil pan and it didn't have a gasket in it...wasn't planning on putting one in, but between gasket maker and having to put RTV silicone in the 4 points on the front and rear seals...should I just give in and by the gasket to eliminate the possibility of another 4 hour job of resealing the pan? :treadmill:

It was actually gray RTV...I ended up using Black RTV tonight and it went in nice...true test will be once I get it fired up and warmed up some...plan to do that BEFORE I wedge that diff in for sure! Painted oil pan Tremclad red and all the surrounding parts grey, so if it does leak, it should be easy to identify...I have confidence that I put on a nice even bead surrounding the pan and also did a little extra on the 4 corners of the crank humps to make sure it was tight. It squeezed out well...will post pics tomorrow :D

The FSM calls for a bead of sealant. I used black RTV with no gasket on the last two that I did with no leaks. It seemed to work better than the gray.

That's what I figured...Putting some oil in it this week and going to run test before muscling in the front diff...just in case! Not like it isn't any easier getting the pan out, but...ya know...

Edited by magregor