Fleury's Plate

you have obviously never seen the underside of an R50 without a skid plate

theres a whole bunch of non-aerodynamic stuff exposed without a skid (subframe, etc)

IMG_0932.jpg

do you understand how aerodynamics work?

I don't care what you say, that is not areodynamic. The back end of a truck bed creates a pocket of air which in turn makes it areodynamic (thank you Mythbusters) but our sh!t just creates drag (and not the kind you see in Miami in the colorful section either).

Whatever, I've run my truck with the stock plastic skids, full AC skids, and currently with no skids, and have never noticed any difference in the mileage I get between them.

I've had friends who put spoilers on their cars and would argue to the end that it helped the handling, but they don't either. I still highly doubt that any improved airflow you would get from your aluminum skids over the stock ones would be negligible, especially in terms of mileage.

But arguing on the internet is silly. If it makes you happy then I'm happy for you.

Edited by Zibi

Our trucks are about as aerodynamic as a brick. Smoothing 5% of the surface area on the a**-end of a brick won't make it cut through the air any faster in any quantity that is relevant to the real world. Same with the truck. I expect AlexRex will come up with some "I must contradict everyone to prove what a genius I am" comment like,"Well, at the milli-nano-ultra-micro level, the blah blah blah." Whatever. No one cares.

If it seems to give you more MPG, awesome. If not, still awesome. So long as it serves whatever you intended it for it, rock on.

If it makes you happy then I'm happy for you.

That works for me! Thanks! ;)

I honestly think that I can prove with my Scanguage that it helps, as it shows TPS, Speed, MPH, and MPG all at once...but I can't mimick the same wind patterns to prove I am not driving into wind, well I could get that spinny thing that measures wind speed hmmm? :laugh:

Spoilers work better at over triple digit speeds, and for longer than brief seconds at that speed....I would love to straighten that rear pocket out and have an idea, but it would cost money to play with it---and much fiberglass skills. The end result wouldn't look horrible at all either.

There was a USA Federal gov't study that proved that a particular shape spoiler on the top rear end of an van/suv would change MPGs by UP TO 30%...for us that may mean 26 HWY instead of 20...nice! Problem is we are only given parts of the study, as in no idea how large or exactly how integrated...and of course no further access to the rest said study.

Edited by 02silverpathy

Our trucks are about as aerodynamic as a brick. Smoothing 5% of the surface area on the a**-end of a brick won't make it cut through the air any faster in any quantity that is relevant to the real world. Same with the truck. I expect AlexRex will come up with some "I must contradict everyone to prove what a genius I am" comment like,"Well, at the milli-nano-ultra-micro level, the blah blah blah." Whatever. No one cares.

If it seems to give you more MPG, awesome. If not, still awesome. So long as it serves whatever you intended it for it, rock on.

do i still make you cry, GPG?

Edited by alexrex20

No i decided to keep the pathy! at least until i graduate or maybe forever since i can't get any good offers for it. When i was rock crawling i bashed the solid steel frame up front because i didnt have a skid plate... ill look in to those that you guys recommended. Thanks!

Whatever, I've run my truck with the stock plastic skids, full AC skids, and currently with no skids, and have never noticed any difference in the mileage I get between them.

I've had friends who put spoilers on their cars and would argue to the end that it helped the handling, but they don't either. I still highly doubt that any improved airflow you would get from your aluminum skids over the stock ones would be negligible, especially in terms of mileage.

But arguing on the internet is silly. If it makes you happy then I'm happy for you.

I'm not saying that it gives you better gas mileage or not, I get 16 mpg not matter what, I was just pointing out R50's are not aerodynamic

Yeah in order to clarify that I'm not an egotistical dick, I was just arguing from the perspective of a noticeable improvement in mpg. I don't argue the fact that the bottom of our pathies don't exactly resemble a lambo :)

And I was also waiting for someone to continue to argue with me so I could pull out my witty response, but since no one will, "I don't believe in god either, anyone want to try and sway my opinion on that one?" :D

Edited by Zibi

"but the decals on the side of my car are vinyl, so they are super smooth, which drops my c-d way lower than you, so my 0-60 is like 10 seconds faster, yo! not to mention my my winshield wiper spoiler things help me handle that on rap 30mph faster, yo!"

haha, couldn't resist...

Can I have a free skid?