87 VG30 MT jumping out of 3rd

Hi

The MT in my Pathy is 177000 miles strong, running 5.1L GL-4. No major whines, but definitely some signs of normal wear. Synchros are in great condition given the previous owner probably used GL5 fluid and only 4L.

Anyway it has a tendency to jump out of 3rd upon deceleration at speeds below 25mph. Is this irreversible wear? I suspect it will keep on soldiering for at least another 177000 miles, my previous diesel Terrano did the same, and that transmission had spent most of its life under water!

Any advice? Thanks

Hi

The MT in my Pathy is 177000 miles strong, running 5.1L GL-4. No major whines, but definitely some signs of normal wear. Synchros are in great condition given the previous owner probably used GL5 fluid and only 4L.

Anyway it has a tendency to jump out of 3rd upon deceleration at speeds below 25mph. Is this irreversible wear? I suspect it will keep on soldiering for at least another 177000 miles, my previous diesel Terrano did the same, and that transmission had spent most of its life under water!

Any advice? Thanks

Your linkage needs adjusting or the gear syncronyzer between 3rd and 2nd is worn out. Either way it will probalby get worse with time.