Lift Without Manual Hubs?

sthrnfat

Have seen recommendations for going to Manual hubs with the AC lift with most saying they aren't needed with the OME lift.

I'm sure it's a good idea to go with manual hubs to save the CVs, but who is running a lift without manual hubs, which lift are you running and how long have you been running that way?

Will probably go with manual hubs in the future, but would like to do some other mods now and pick the hubs up later.

2000 Pathfinder SE

The reason people suggest to get manual hubs when you lift an R50 is because R50's have fixed drive flanges...so the front axles are always spinning regardless of whether you're in 4wd or not.

When you lift an IFS truck the angle of the CV joins increases and they begin to rub on the CV boot. The reason people say you don't need it with an OME lift is because it is a smaller lift than the AC one, therefor potentially less rubbing.

The only question is whether you want to risk having to replace your CV axles more often with the lift. If you don't care then don't bother, if you're worried then spend a bit of money now to save a lot later on.

What zibi said is true, but we have found lately that runnig hubs when you have a transfer case with the auto or all-time then you might be causing pre-mature wear on the tc gears.. The atx14a transfer case has 2 oil pumps to maintain oil pressure and one of them is being run by the half-shafts...so with the hubs, you're preventing good lubrification of the transfer case...

Personnaly I run with no hubs with the AC lift only since a few months (4), and did change my half-shaft because the boots were old and crippled.....and a hardcore mud trail did not help.. so now I have new ones on and shall see how long they last... But one thing's for sure , If I put them on , they would stay locked all the time and would use them only if I break in the trail and can't change the half-shaft...

Edited by fleurys

I ran my '98 with the OME coils and without hubs for well over 6 months and, for the most part, had no major issues with the CV axles. Bearing in mind they were still the OEM axles from the factory (with about 160k km), when I did check them out the boots were as good as toast.

I replaced mine and installed the manual hubs and it has helped. To say it's essential when lifting a R50 is debatable, IMO. ;)

I wouldn't say it's essential... I ran with my 2" AC lift for over a year before I got the manual hubs with no issues, and I am sure others have gone even longer. I would recommend it, if you can... but it is certainly not essential.

At $200 parts I wouldn't call em "cheap"...

I now just keep a stack of remanufactured/salvage CVs. $90 apiece.

Who the hell quoted you $200 for manual hubs? Brand new I paid $90+ shipping

I ordered mine through AC when they had a sale back in late November '08. Total came to ~$180CAD after shipping, duty/customs, and the exchange rate.

At $200USD, something isn't right. At all. Keep shopping around. :scratchhead:

well, if u are planning to wheel a lot, that is cheap. I also hear it gives u better gas mileage when the cv's are disconnected.

Long term, there is a definite offset in the improved MPG you will get by having manual hubs. :aok:

Pulled my engine yesterday because of the damn power screws and saw my passanger side cv boot ripped. Advance Auto has them for $60 with lifetime warrenty. Need to find out what that covers. Easier to change than rotors.

Running AC lift with out manual hubs. Probably have 3-4000 miles on the lift. These are origional cv's with 80,000miles on them, so im not too surprised they ripped.