Wierd timing belt issue

icemonkey

Hmmmm. Many thanks for looking at this one here. No longer have a garage to work out of so now Im stuck working in fair weather on the street. A few weeks ago I was finishing up and putting on a new timing belt... and it started to rain. So cover everything up and wait for the rain to stop. 2 1/2 weeks later I get my chance and disaster, the cam sprockets are out of alignment. Worse still the crankshaft timing dot looks to off. Could the heating and cooling of the strange weather weve been having turn the engine over? Worse still the engine shroud has no alignment marks (I stupidly used post it note clippings that fell off) can I use diagrams from the various How To's to find alignment? Any help would be great...

loosen up the rockers so that the cam can move freely then find TDC by putting a screwdriver or something else long in the #1 sparkplug hole. the crank keyway should be around the 11 o'clock position at TDC. Then align your cam sprockets, put the timing belt on, then tighten the rockers.

the cam marks are hard to see reverse dimples on the rear timing cover. Once you have TDC established, you need to put 43 teeth between the crank mark and the drivers side cam mark. Almost positive it's 43... it's been posted before. The cam marks should fall, when at TDC, around 1 o'clock on the drivers side cam and 11 o'clock on the passenger side.

Terrific! Thank you all. Luckily my belt is marked and Ive checked it. I think I just panicked when everything was out of wack. The more I think about it the more suprized I am that the ambient temperature fluctuating can move an engine. :scratchhead: Thanks for all the help.

don't be too surprised. If you have ever tried to turn your cam just a little, you'll notice that there are places that it wants to be and places where it doesn't. You may have had it on the hairy edge and a temp fluctuation was enough to make it slip to a more stable location.