won't start

schro

I have an intermittent problem with my '95 pathfinder not starting.

I have replaced the starter solenoid after which it worked fine with no symptoms for about 2 weeks. Then it died again, and I had to bump start it to get home.

I went to the auto wrecker and pulled a starter from another '95 and did the swap, after which it worked fine for a week and now has just died again.

Methinks that the problem is not with the starter, but the intermittent nature of the problem is making it difficult to diagnose.

When I turn the wipers on they run at a good speed, and resting battery voltage is 12.6V (the battery is only a year old, good quality Interstate battery) so I don't think that the problem is with the battery or charging system.

Does not start with jumper cables either.

I'm thinking it must be a computer/sensor switch issue. Maybe a faulty safety interlock switch or maybe ignition switch or relay somewhere...

Any ideas?

Good point... My old 95xe manual was just starting to crank very slowly/nothing just days before I parked it so I never tried to figure out the issue. Assumed it was the starter (battery was fine) but didn't care... :shrug:

B