Truck Tailgate?

Anyone ever heard of a pathy owner, converting the rear hatch from a lift gate, to; the bottom dropping down like a truck, and the top lifting up still?

I just thought it would be perty sweet, it would give you a comfy place to sit, and make it a little more useful for stuff like lumber, and all that jazz

Anyone ever heard of a pathy owner, converting the rear hatch from a lift gate, to; the bottom dropping down like a truck, and the top lifting up still?

I just thought it would be perty sweet, it would give you a comfy place to sit, and make it a little more useful for stuff like lumber, and all that jazz

I have not heard of that, but that would be trippie design. :goodpost:

If you want to try I can sell you a couple HB tailgates... In reality as GG said, proably be nothign too major to do, little cut here-weld there and maby figure a way to use possibly HB tailgate guts for your latching system and your in.

cuts and welds sound a little too easy...I was thinking a little more into it...you can have the truck tailgate latch by stealing the HB stock mounts/latches on each side but then you have to chop the pathy hatch and then figure out how to secure it to the tailgate as you ride down the road which may be as easy as a key latch to a loop but I dont think I would want the loop sticking out of the top of the tailgate...then it comes down to relocating all the mechanisms for the glass and latch

and don't forget the bitch of it all is getting it to seal so the rear doesnt fill up with water when it rains...I think it'd be a cool project but don't let people talk you into thinking it would be a cakewalk...

I would start by measuring the width of the pathy opening and then the width of the tailgate...i'll guess its almost exact but dont know for sure...also if you want to pay for shipping of a hatch from CA to you I've got one we could make a deal on but think that is probably out of the question...

Edited by unccpathfinder

well, i thought a little, and hypothetically, you could cut a hatch in half, just below the window, then seal each side of that cut, and put some weather stripping on it... and then take OUT the current latch, and put two je** wrangler tailgate hinges on the bottom somehow, then use hardbody latching mechanism....

Id love to do it, but unfortunately I don't own a welder anymore :(

But hey, who knows, maybe someone else, or maybe me, will try it one of these days! ;)

Would be pretty cool though...

I actually forgot all about it, the HB gate is just under 2in longer. The real issue is in the depth. The HB gate is deeper than the door jam for the hatch.

So it looks like, it would be easier to chop up a hatch, and just use the latch from a HB tailgate.....

I was actually thinking today, i would be a happy man if my truck got rear ended just in the tailgate, and a big I beam dropped 6" through the roof between the B and C pillars.....that way i would have an EXCUSE to screw with the body ;)

Edited by OldSlowReliable

My thought process on it:

Remove the latch from the hatch bottom, and the struts from the hatch part. Close the hatch and install hinges to the bottom. Open the glass and tack weld the upper part of the hatch in place onto the body. Cut the lower part of the hatch just above where the window seal turns up on either side. At this point the lower gate should be able to swing down on the hinges, and the upper part be rigid with the body. The glass should also still be able to latch on the lower tail gate.

From there just finish up the welds, and make some sort of latch to keep the lower half from floping open. :shrug:

Edited by GrimGreg

same exact process that i was thinking :)

It minimizes the cut edges, so you don't have much if any cleanup or snag spots.... and keeps it rain tight :). I would personally put a push pin kind of thing on the top, and have it push through into the side body edge, rather than weld so i could swap it out for the normal type one day possibly...

I would just assume use HB latches, i think its the standard two loops, one on either side, then just run the cables and swap in the latch mechanism into the side sheet metal

Lol, if i had a half decent fab garage, welder, the scrap parts, and SKILL...i would totally be on this ;)

After i get back from my trip, i wanna mess with photoshop on another version of the truckbed pathy (i know theres one or two that have the back roof chopped) But instead, chop all off behind the front seats, but only down to the bottom of the windows, then somehow get a bronco rear cap on it, and put a big bench seat facing backwards in the back, backed up to the back of the front seats, and use the rear two doors as suicide doors

:D

So many ideas..so little SKILL

Edited by OldSlowReliable