20 mpg in a 4x4 Pathy?

What size tire did you have stock?

On a second note...If your not filling up at the same pump every time then you not getting a accurete reading since every pump shuts off at a diffrent level

Edited by nismothunder

On a second note...If your not filling up at the same pump every time then you not getting a accurete reading since every pump shuts off at a diffrent level

Not sure what that has to do with anything. The pumps are regulated to track how much is dispensed. The idea is to set the odometer to 0 when you have a full tank (at least where the pump shuts off). Drive, and when you fill back up again, look at how much you put in. This is how much you used - simple math from here. Not convinced there is a significant difference in where the pumps "top off". Besides after tracking for a while, it would become a statistically insignificant. To really understand performance, it needs to be tracked for a while.

x2. Gas pumps are state mandated to shut off at specific tolerances to air pressure in the tank and when liquid fuel touches the tip of the nozzle.

Malfunctioning aside at least, I had a Chevron pump not shut off and dump gas all over the place.

The only difference between fill ups is how many times a person clicks the lever after it shuts off to squeeze that last little bit in their tank. Even then it's only a minute difference, and doesn't make a fraction of a percent's difference in the long run.

It does make a diffrence...In my area the BP will click off two gallons before a full tank...the Clark where I useally get gas is a full tank.The pumps are calibrated once a year in my area...also if you push the nozzle in two far it will nott feed properly,clicking off early...

I have been doing it this way for years and it is the most efective way of proving gas milage

It does make a diffrence...In my area the BP will click off two gallons before a full tank...the Clark where I useally get gas is a full tank.The pumps are calibrated once a year in my area...also if you push the nozzle in two far it will nott feed properly,clicking off early...

I have been doing it this way for years and it is the most efective way of proving gas milage

you are actually right i think. When i fill up at hess, it doesnt fill it up the whole way and at sunoco its super full and the fule gauage is like all the way up past the full line. At hess the guages shows it fills up right at the full line.

The Shell, Arco, and Chevron pumps all shut off at the same time. When my mother was manager of an Exxon gas station, every once in a while a state inspector would come around and test all the pumps and tell her and the owner if the pumps were within spec. :shrug:

I keep clicking the pump until I can see fuel at the inside nozzle flap. That way it's accurate every time.

I just fill up at the same places...Still is a statistical insignificance the longer you track overall mileage. Evens out in the end, like sitting in traffic or at the drive through window with the engine running. Not moving forward, but still burning gas in the tank. That can make a huge difference in readings over the life of a tank.

I agree that many pumps are different – nozzle length, etc. Regardless of regulations, which are designed to make sure it’s tracking how much is dispensed properly, that doesn’t mean they all fill to the same level. Just means if it says it gave you 15 gallons, that’s what you got. Department of Units and Measures makes sure.

Am glad to see the poor mileage posted here!

I can get 14-14.5 city and no better than 19.5-20 HWY being super easy on the far right pedal. There is one terrible aero feature of the truck...the wind faring on the roof of the 02-04 SE and the rear curve of the hatch is way to sharp for air to press around...no answer on a respectable looking fix yet though.

**Damn it LoveMy Path--I can't stop looking at your avatar!! I think I can even hear the music**

fill up and stop when it clicks off. drive it for a tank. fill up and stop when it clicks. whatever amount you put in, that's what you use for your calculation. if you filled up 15.8gal and drove 243mi, then that's 243mi / 15.8gal = 15.37mpg.

whether or not you filled it to the brim is not important, if you just use the actual gallon amount of fuel you filled up with.

with that said, my VG33 R50 gets 14-16mpg combined. if it's mostly highway and i stay around 65-70mph, i can get 19mpg.

When tire size/diameter is changed, your mileage reading has changed. A GPS will also show that the speedo is off on at least 2 pathfinders i tested. So really its relative to the same truck only.

Also i have read overfilling is a bad idea, as in Topping off, because this can get sucked in the charcoal canister and those are expensive. The raw fuel fumes are burned from the tank into the engine with these canister devices. But...i can't say thats its true or not. Nor can I say that these expsensive canisters really do beans other than make people money (Green = $).

If your getting horrible mileage aside from the regular simple stuff, check power valves if you have an auto.

Tire pressure helps much. Try 35psi cold.

I measured with the (full tank, drive some, full tank again) method and got 11.6 litres per 100km that is about 20.2 mpg.

I drove 450kms (279.6 miles), 400km highway with 90km/ph (56mp/h) and 50 km country road with lots of holes and bumps mainly driving in 1st and 2nd gear.

I'm sure 21 mpg is achievable.

On the other side in the city 12-15 mpg is what I got. My town is full of hills and my usual trip is 7 kms (4.3 miles) long, additionally there are many stoplights on my way so I think it's normal.