The most annoying sqeak ever

Kingman

This thing has been taunting me for months now. I've taken the whole rear lift gate apart, took out most of the guts, screwed in the plastic trim cover, drove around with the hatch glass open, took the bumper off and drove around, taken off the tire carrier and drove around, and it's still there. It comes and goes, but when it is there it's a loud CHIRP SQEEAAK CHIRP CHIRP SQUEAK from the very back over bumps that make the whole truck shake. Then it suddenly goes away and stays away.

Underneath there's a chink chink sound from the stabilizer bar that has bad bushings and rattles, but that's separate. Other than that, nothing looks like it's rubbing on anything at all. I can bang around and the sound doesn't appear. It seems that only hard bumps will make it squeak and chirp. I took out the rear trim panels and replaced the plastic tabs that were missing, no go. Still chirps.

And to make things worse, any time I remember to try to record the sound when it does occur, it goes away!

For the sake of my sanity does anyone have any idea what the hell is causing it?

Edited by Kingman

I went through and tightened every thing I could possibly get my hands on just short of taking it down to the bare metal body and rebuilding it. I might have to do that though...

Never had one. I also rearranged all the wiring in the rear fenders as well and wrapped it all up in cloth, that's not it either.

Definatly check body mounts. I had the exact same thing it sounds like your describing and it dissapeared and never came back as soon as I finished the bodylift.

Body mounts are solid. Hatch glass doesn't move around at all. I hit a hard bump earlier and it's definitely a metal/metal or hard plastic/metal screech.

Thanks for the input guys.

Still got the chirp :headwall:

Oh well. I just keep my music up way too loud. I have to have it up loud to cover the sound of my exhaust anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you check exhaust hanger brackets? I changed out my cat and noticed the hanger before and after the cat are sheared off and the cat was rubbing on the crossmember making a horrible clunk / squeak / rattle noise that I had been searching for MONTHS!!

-Colby